Attempting Haskaps on north west facing foundation planting zone 7b

The Boreal series never leafed out so honeyberry usa sent me replacements. they had beauty and blizzard in stock but no beast so they sent me honey bee. I pulled the old boreal’s out that had been in the ground since mid April and sure enough they were dead as a doornail, no root growth or anything. not sure what went wrong there. the beauty and blizzard I received had leafed out already prior to shipping in a few places but the green growth that was there had serious chlorosis. after getting them in the ground for just 24 hours the green growth perked up and turned and darker shade of green. the honey bee I received had leafed out prior to shipping as well and the growth on that plant was darker but withered and limp. after planting I still have not seen any improvement on the honey bee. assuming the blizzard and beauty survive I have a feeling I’ll be ordering a beast next year to replace the honey bee. it just doesn’t seem to be thriving yet. only had them in the ground since Tuesday morning though so so only time will tell. below from top to bottom are the beauty, honey bee, and blizzard. not pictured, but the Maxine is still going strong with dark green leaves.

1 Like

my beauty finally leafed out about 2 weeks ago. the jb 30 serviceberry that was sent to me last summer that i thought was dead finally sent out a spout for me last week. out of 18 tree/ bushes i still have 100% take on everything ive got from them. the northline serviceberry they sent me to replace the jb30 put out about 30 flowers.

2 Likes

One year update:

My Maxine has had excellent growth this spring and doubled, maybe tripled in size. I even had a good number of flowers on the old wood. my beauty came back as well but growth isn’t great. it did somehow have 1 flower this spring. I figure the U of S hybrids aren’t as well adapted to my zone 7b climate here in Maryland so I got another 100% Japanese Solo cultivar. it is Tiny. in place of the other honeyberries I planted White Fruiting Christina Native Strawberries from edible landscaping.

Maxine

Beauty

whole bed (north facing foundation planting)

3 Likes

My Christina white strawberries took over the bed with runners in 2022 and have formed a nice mat this spring 2023. the Maxine is still growing very strong this spring. the solo I planted in spring of 2022 came back and has doubled in size, but is still quite small and no flowers. my boreal beauty had a few flowers and I had a ton of flowers on my Maxine but it doesn’t look like they cross pollinated and I won’t get any fruit again this year.

3 Likes

So my boreal beauty died over the winter and while the Maxine came back (looking weaker) the solo is just a stick with 2 buds on it. doesn’t look like I will get any fruit on Maxine this year as there is no beauty or solo for cross pollination. strawberries are still going strong.

I just got 3 kinds of Clove Currants and thinking of replacing the haskaps with them. will clove currants grow and fruit in the shade?

1 Like

So I planted 3 clove currants in the space where I used to have the 3 boreal varieties of Haskap. All 3 clove currants were large and flowering profusely when they arrived. I planted them asap and they seem to be doing well with Crandall and Missouri Giant setting new growth and showing fruit strangely enough. unfortunately the black topaz I planted seems to have died for unknown reasons and it is outside the replacement window for one green world. not so happy about that one, but what can you do.

Black topaz

Missouri Giant

Crandall

2 Likes