AU Rosa .. self pollination wow

Frosty grass this morn.

@Auburn … My AU Rosa and Shiro bloomed in mid-late Feb.

We had a warm up then… and now a cold spell.

My two back porch merc thermometers showed 28-29 this morn for low… but I think it may get colder out in the orchard at times.

Think my jplums (fruit wise) may be done for this year… hope they do keep leaves or regrow them and make some progress growing this year.

Perhaps my eu plums or lapins cherry will fruit this year…

My blueberries are in full bloom now… hope these frosts dont wipe them out too.

1 Like

My blueberries have always done well down to 25 in bloom. I always assume they will be gone. And they’re all less than 3 years old.

But somehow, some way, they always have berries in summer. So I think you’re good

2 Likes

Same here. My blueberries always come through with a good crop.

2 Likes

In the first post above you can see how green and glossy my new au rosa plums were…

Well after 2 nights of 28-30 degrees… below is what they look like today…

@rayrose … looks like you were right… they lost that glossy green color after the first cold night… and after the second cold night – toast.

Yuck… oh well that is the way it goes with jplums in southern middle TN.

Both au rosa and shiro still have their leaves and it looks like they are a little frost damaged but will recover.

My whip graft of AU Producer to AU Rosa is still looking good… making slow progress thru this cold spell.

1 Like

Covering fruit for freezing weather is such a pain but generally works for me when I do it.
I use agribon fabric, sealing to the ground with branches and rocks. Its nice to be able to leave it covered for days but wind tends to disrupt things a bit. I don’t mess with support which knocks off some blossoms. Bad for blueberry but stone fruits generally need thinning anyways.

My AU Rosa was the best looking tree of my 5 AUs but suddenly died last year for mysterious reasons. A beach plum grafted to Oikos Runner is attempting to take it’s place.

Glad to hear! I grafted all three last spring and my new grafts are flowering this spring no fruit set yet except my SM plumcot is setting fruitlets
Thanks Bill

1 Like