Avaunt now acceptable for home use?

To replace, although Triazicide should control plant bugs and psyla which Avaunt probably would not. I use Assail for those, for the most part.

I wonder how it would work with out the addition of Assail?

I bit the bullet early last year and bought Avaunt. Has worked great, absolutely no PC damage last spring and this spring. It is hard to calculate the proper per gallon rate. I have used 1/3 teaspoon/ gallon so far but may be applying more than necessary.

I’ve been mixing mine “hot.” It seems to work, but inconvenient weather has been an issue. I’ve noticed reduced effectiveness after heavy rainfalls. Of course, I’m not using as sticker, so that is the next step I guess.

It works fine without Assail if you don’t need to stop plantbugs, psyla and pests it is not strong against. At least here in the northeast. I manage several orchards with Avaunt only.

I did some quick calculations between Triazicide (0.08% gamma-cyhalothrin) and a comparable lambda-cyhalothrin product (Bonide Fruit Tree and Plant Guard, 0.5% lambda-cyhalothrin). Lambda and gamma-cyhalothrin differ in that gamma is enantiopure, and lambda is a 1:1 mixture of gamma and a less active stereoisomer of cyhalothrin.

Mixed as per the label, there is 8.3 times more a.i. in the Bonide product in your spray tank. If you assume that only the gamma-cyhalothrin is the active ingredient and the other stereoisomer in the lambda-cyhalothrin is completely inert, then there is still 4x more product in the Bonide spray than the Triazicide. (However, it is likely that the other stereoisomer is not completely inert.)

1 Like

You need a scale accurate to a tenth gram- maybe you know someone who will loan you one. Once you’ve measured it once you will be set. When I have time I will do it myself and post it. I have an old O-Haus tribeam that should be adequate. I figure round up a bit for a hand sprayer over a spray gun that has lots of power.

I use a gun powder scale to measure out small amounts, works great

1 Like

When do you spray Avaunt? Do you use it on your peaches and apples?

Wondering if it may be good substitute for Imidan at Petal Fall.

Rick, from my reading Avaunt, is not labeled for stone fruit. I use as my 1st and 2nd petal fall spray. Think I used it as a late summer spray also last year. Label says Max of 4 sprays a year. What I like about it and Actara which I also got is they are concerned lower risk to humans and do require use of a respirator unlike Imidan.

Where did you read that? Here is the label. http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/labels/Avaunt.pdf

Avaunt is superior to Actara as a general purpose insecticide because it is more species specific. Most pesticide recommendations for commercial growers suggest that pyrethroids only be used in emergency situations because they tend to throw an orchard ecology out of balance and encourage mite flare ups and other issues (white fly, peach tree aphids, mites…) because of their exceptionally wide range of kill including beneficial predator insects. Another problem with pyrethroids is short shelf life if you are not a big commercial grower. Hard to know even by the second year how effective it will be. They also lose efficacy in summer heat.

Thanks for setting me straight Alan, was going off middle age memory which is dangerous. I have only been using Avaunt for apples until now but sounds like it can be a good spray for my peaches.

1 Like

Wait til you are my age. Now I double check, which I did before responding to your comment.

What’s the difference between “for agricultural use only” and “Use only in commercial and farm plantings. Not for use in home plantings.”? The label available online at Keystone and elsewhere says the latter.

Means the same thing, but I can’t locate those words on my label and I’ve gone over it a couple of times, originally expecting to find. I believe they haven’t updated the label. What page do you find that on?

@alan

The label says says “pomme fruit - except pears…” What is the significance of that statement?

Does it mean just that it is ineffective against pear pests or that it makes the pears unsafe to eat?

In my orchard if I spray apples I will hit pears etc.

Mike

From the Keystone website, see page 3 of the PDF file, left-hand column, below the box entitled “Agricultural Use Requirements”. It is the sixth sentence under that box.

It means those are not the instructions for pears. Those instructions are immediately above

I finally found it buried in there. It does not say it is restricted to agricultural use legally, but says to use it only in commercial or agricultural plantings. I wonder if that has always been the wording. It reminds me of the Imidan label saying “not for residential use”. The legal meaning is not as specific as one would expect. Usually the label says something is prohibited if it is a legal issue. I’m really not sure of the meaning, but thanks for sticking with it and straightening me out.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear! I may be buying it for next year then, in my battle against PC. Thanks for notifying us!

better check my edit.