Avocado scions- where to find?

A coworker who is giving up her greenhouse gave me a 12 year old avocado. I have it in my greenhouse now, and it’s doing well. It’s about 9’ tall and 5’ around. She told me recently that she hasn’t seen flowers in all those years, and in reading I see that this is not uncommon when you start an avocado from a seed as she did (she used a “big Florida avocado” seed).

I figured no problem, I would just work it over to another variety. But I can’t find scions for sale. I have never bought scions- I’ve only traded for them- so I’m not sure where to start.

Is it worth working this plant over, and if so, is there somewhere I can find scions for a productive cultivar?

I have an avocado tree my mom bought me a few years back. I believe it is Hass but could check tonight when I get home. Last winter it flowered but I got no fruit. I would be happy to get you a scion if it is the type you are looking for. The tree is under a light in my basement right now and still has plenty of leaves on it so I am unsure how to make the scion, but I’ll look into it.

I’ll mail it for free, but if you happen to have any of these from this page I’ll trade you.
http://growingfruit.org/t/first-scion-request/12206

Given the crickets my post produced, I might take you up on your offer. I do have gold rush scions- thanks to trading with Scott Smith. How many scions could you get off your avacado? I’d like to get at least 3-5 since I have no practice with avacados…

don’t need Gold Rush anymore (bought an entire tree)! Do you know how to take the scion from a plant that is not dormant? I could probably get you three six inch pieces. I did check last night and it is a Hass. Let me know

No idea. Presumably you’d just clip off a few inches at the end and trim the leaves off- but that’s a guess. Does your avacado lose it’s leaves at some point during the year?

No, it will keep the leaves all year. PM me with your address and I’ll make some cuttings, wrap them in moist paper, put them in a zip lock and mail them out after XMas.

1 Like

Hi guys! I’m about to attempt my first graft on an avocado and I was hoping for any tips. I have 3 avocados that I grew from seed and I am looking for 2 things: where/ how do you get scions? What’s the best way to graft if you haven’t done this before?
Thanks

I’m not an expert either but I’m gathering info on avocado grafting too. From what I read, it’s best to graft them in May (at least in coastal CA). I spoke to Ellen Baker from Epicenter nursery and she said they will have some scions available in spring. I’m thinking of grafting Reed and Greengold (both type A) on my no-fruit tree.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Do you plan on doing a chip, veneer or t graft? Did she mention how much the scions are?

She mentioned the scions are $4 a piece and $5 is they wrapped it with parafilm. I am planning to top work the tree (after cutting it 3/4th way down) with bark graft on the main trunk and some of the side branches.

I also saw quite a few people exchanging/selling avocado scions in tropicalfruitforum.com