Ayers pear!

Ayers didn’t take too long to fruit for me after I grafted it on callery. I don’t think it could have been any more than 4 years after grafting that it fruited, maybe only a couple years.

One thing I especially like about it, is that stinkbugs don’t seem to damage it as much as other pears. Maybe that’s because of the location of my tree or some other random factor unrelated to the variety, but I’ve wondered if the thick skin somehow helps minimize stinkbug issues.

3 Likes

I have two Ayers that flowered in less than 4 years. Also have one on callery, but it is kind of new. Interesting you guys brought this up. I was thinking of putting in more Ayers because they seem to flower quick.

2 Likes

Ayers has always fruited for me quicker than other
varieties. Stink bugs don’t care for it, but hornets
love it. I’ve learned not pick it without wearing gloves.

3 Likes

This is very interesting so the length of time to flower may be location specific. The other thing i notice here is the trees tendency to bear biennial. It also needs a good pollinator. I’m doing my own experiments here on callery. Specifically in terms of influence on fruiting and i’m finding out more and more these genetically unique callery some can be dwarfs , fruit quickly, even influence quality and size of fruit. Never would i have realized 10 years ago how much these wild callery are influencining even scion growth. You want to here something fascinating i added a ayers on ohx87 which came from.a big box store as a test and the results have been the same except the tree was picked on more on ohx87 rootstock. It bloomed the first year after planting and never bloomed again since. This is ayers in bloom its been 80 degrees here and beautiful.

5 Likes

All of my asian pears are on callery. I’m a fan of it on asians. They flower non-stop from 1 foot tall to ?. Callery on euro’s is kind of a guess on flowering years. Seems to change with each tree.

Moonglow could also go in the early flowering category. Moonglow is my least favorite, but has flowered quick on every one of them.

3 Likes

The ayers are getting closer everyday. Weeks of 90-100 degree days is ripening them quickly.

3 Likes

how do you use that many pears before they ruin?

2 Likes

You must be cool in Kansas :slight_smile: Ayers at my uncle’s old place in town are ready (southwest hot part of the yard), in fact some of them had some core breakdown already. About half the tree was ready (or too far gone) and some still had some green. My Ayers mostly froze out in the country, so I had to bring a few home a couple of days ago (and a peach).

8 Likes

Ayers does not hang well on the tree. You must pick
it daily, if you want it tree ripened. It goes from ripe to
rot very fast.

5 Likes

It might be my hot and humid location but I have to check my pears frequently to get them in good condition.

2 Likes

Well…… I eaten three of mine. First year to get any and second year for tree to fruit. I don’t like them…… with peel or without peel. Soft ripe. They have a metallic taste to me. Am I missing something?

3 Likes

The first year or two even 3 is not a pears best. After 3 years you know what you truly have. Pears are easy to use as they require no sugar. Freeze them , make pear sauce , dry them, there are a million ways to use them I love them. The metallic taste is not ayers its the soil most of the time. I have had it happen with various fruits but it never lasts long term at my location @k8tpayaso . Winter was late this year and all my fruit is behind unfortunately

6 Likes

I hope they get better. What do I do? Just wait and see? I have acid soil. Was planning another test and applying lime again this fall. I don’t know if that makes a difference but if my soil is 5.7 don’t most fruit trees like it more neutral? Would that make a difference?

4 Likes

It just takes some time @k8tpayaso a 1 year old pear often times produces undesirable fruit.

2 Likes

Sometimes I picked Ayers at a good stage and they were awesome but sometimes they were difficult to get right. After a few years growing Ayers I think the age of the tree does influence the quality of the pear. Another factor in my opinion is that our hot and humid weather during the ripening period also influences the quality. Ayers was either very good or pretty bad.

6 Likes

You answered your own question. Just wait and taste will improve.
My Ayers is on fourth leaf and last year taste was good and this year got lot more pears and taste is very good. I am so glad that I have this pear. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Lots of you may think I’ve eaten my ayers pears and didn’t say a word about it but this is a very different year and that’s not the case. They have bad foliare rust this year but that impacts only foliage not fruit. Tried one and you can see the seeds are clearly still white, flesh is very firm so obviously not ripe yet. No pears at my farm have been sprayed in years. Once those seeds turn black these will be mature and delicious but they are very late.

10 Likes

Our very first Ayers pears have been coming in here. Tree has been in the ground for nearly 10 years, and I’m pretty sure it’s on callery. Would’ve fruited last year, but a heavy late freeze zapped its blooms; and a less severe one decreased its first crop this year. We’re trying to get the trick of ripening them. The first successfully ripened one was put in the fridge for a few days then placed at room temperature in a paper bag (along with an apple). Took a couple of weeks or near it, but the resultant pear was a soft, sweet and all-round very good Euro pear. Am also leaving some room temperature sans refrigeration and am going to chill some in the fridge for longer duration. As far as picking, I’ve been looking for a little give in the neck and whether they lift away from the tree when gently tilted to horizontal. Hope I’m doing it right!

Most of these first pears have tended toward smallness—which I understand is characteristic of Ayers—but they vary.

Ayers does indeed seem very fire blight resistant----only minor strikes over the years, and it’s right next to where a Hosui was killed by the blight last year.

I think I like it!

10 Likes

Glad that harvest is over as much as we loved it the trees were very heavy. A friend came to help me pick and picked hundreds of pounds that we split. The harvest was on August 31st 2021.

13 Likes

Do they ripen any better with refrigeration?

4 Likes