Ayers pear!

@Sara_in_philly

Sent a friend home with hundreds of pounds last year of ayers. The men in that family are all about 6 feet 6 inches or taller and there are 4 of them plus the woman which is 6 feet tall. They were very happy to get pears to help feed them. Identified a 5th ayers just this spring when it bloomed for the first time.

1 Like

Just planted an Ayers from Rtree and gave it 13’ instead of 10, and is at end of row on ohf87.

1 Like

Nothing better than ayers pears in general. This year has been very difficult in terms of growing anything but ayers is loaded.

8 Likes

Ayers is one of my new additions this year. Nice color too. I’ll be grafting more next year.

1 Like

Clark, others, how do you rate Ayers’ taste? Is it good right off the tree or need curing? I see more pears in my future and fewer apples.

1 Like

They have a unique taste, but I like it. Others say they do not need the fridge, but I have picked a slight bit earlier for some storage.
They are super reliable and massive croppers. All around care free tree.

2 Likes

@hambone

Dripping, sugary ,melting, medium sized pear. They are very good most years but can turn somewhat gritty other years near the peel. Rate them very high overall you will like them very much.

1 Like

@hambone

I concur with @clarkinks that it’s good off the tree but sometimes the skin doesn’t taste so wonderful.

3 Likes

So far, mine are small Ayers. Not on my top tier for me due mainly to size. There are also other pears that are bigger and taste better.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Call them medium because seckle is considered small if that makes sense on how i compared them.

1 Like

I have both. They both small to me compare to others.

1 Like

Is ayers as small as seckle for you?

I agree with you my pears outperform everything this year. Ayers is a very good pears and mine is loaded too.

2 Likes

About the same size. I may not thin well.

1 Like

In some areas they dont seem to do as well as they do here. We are fortunate pears do well here.

I want to order scion wood this winter but with all of the talk of mislabeled trees, I’m a bit apprehensive about ordering. @clarkinks , do you sell scion wood, or can you recommend a place? I’m in Virginia and I have plenty of callery to work with.

2 Likes

I believe Cummins sells scions

1 Like

That tree is a great producer! I’m impressed.

1 Like

@Dean

@39thparallel sells scions professionally. His ayers are the same trees as mine. He got the scions from me originally. He lives not far from here. As mentioned there are many good nurseries like cummins i trust as well. I do not sell scionwood. Sometimes i get extra time and can send someone some but it has been hard for me in recent years.

@noogy

Yes thats right last i knew.

@NorthBranch

Yes its a very heavy producer.

Thanks @clarkinks

1 Like