Babaco (Vasconcellea × heilbornii; syn. Carica pentagona)

I did not realize they would be that diffrent. Now I am going to get impatient waiting.

Though it also suffered from a week with the heater set to max power and no water. My Babaco has done quite well in the sun room. I lost several full sized leaves but the terminal stalk is already growing leafing and flowering and more importantly none of the fruit have dropped.

3 Likes

I do believe there might be some ripening going on.

3 Likes

How old is that papaya tree? Looks great.

April 2018, from about a 6" start. I think its likely grafted to Carica quercifolia (Oak Leaved) Oak Leaved Papaya - Carica quercifolia - Seeds. I read quercifolia does well in pots in its own right and the fruit is also interesting so I bought some seeds to try growing it out from.

2 Likes

Painfuly slow to ripen. I would set the plant outside but they are so close to ripening and I am leaving town for another week.

4 Likes

Hopefuly the bags will protect the fruit as I finaly move it outside.

5 Likes

So that happened. Sunday the first fruit dropped. It has been very soft at the top and firm at the bottom, eg uneven ripening. The rest of the fruit appear to be ripening evenly all over. I fridged the fruit at 39f and have been waiting for basement waterproofing chaos to end so my wife and I can properly taste it.

3 Likes

@Richard I understand now why you said it would make a terrible green papaya salad. The texture is far closer to the center of a juicy melon then it is to the fleshy part or a traditional papaya.

Babaco feels firm to the touch but its actualy very very juicy. And that juice tastes like slightly sweet starfruit with good acid balance. I wonder if the others will develop a stronger or sweeter flavor. Kids approve.

4 Likes

You don’t juice it?

You could very well juice it, but it’s seedless and has edible skin. Why go through the trouble. Unless I was making sherbet, now that’s an idea.

1 Like

I said that because you say it’s very juicy… so you eat them like that… i thought they have bland flavour.

Bland is a relative description. Even the sweetest most delicious starfruit I ever ate many people would call bland. I think the starfruit flavor is very mild and subtle but also very pleasant. That is the flavor I most detect in this fruit so I think its good here also.

1 Like

Ok i understand now. Thank’s! I have babaco too but it’s small…

Fruit Fall. This morning was cold, rainy and windy. This one is more evenly colored but still with green highlites.

1 Like

I’d wait until completely (or nearly) yellow, then slice it long ways and eat it with a spoon – typically with berries on top.

1 Like

under what conditions would it ripen off the plant? On the counter in the shade in a sunny windows, brown paper bag with a bananna?

Worked for me, provided it was already well on its way.

Babaco Power. 7 more fruit only 2ft more growth. I will have to cut this guy back next year but its very manageable so far in a pot.

3 Likes

December 2019…
Back into 3 season room. Still very manageable in a 5-6gallon grow bag.

image IMG_20191215_131543283%5B1%5D
image IMG_20191215_131552927%5B1%5D

5 Likes