Babycakes dwarf blackberry

Mine fruited this year. I tastes fine right in the middle of all my varieties. I’m taking it out because it is small and I have room for full size plant there. Good for containers.

The fruits are good. It seems like the early ones are not filled in very well, for me, and the later ones fill in better. Here are photos today. My other blackberries, Arapaho, Triple Crown, and Prime Ark Freedom have better fruits but the plants are gigantic compared to BabyCakes. I think, last year the primocane fruits, which happened later, were better than the early floricane fruits. I have cool springs which might be a factor.

1 Like

Yikes, that’s not very good fruit development, did it bloom at the same time as the others?

i had very good big fruit set on mine but all on primocanes. no floros. survived the last couple winters due to snow breaking them. maybe you need more than 1 plant for better pollination? my berries were huge compared to the supermarket ones.

None of my other varieties bloom as early as Babycakes floricanes. We’ll see if there are any blooming when the Babycakes primocanes bloom.

The seller states they dont need a pollinator. I think that might not be true. Or maybe bees don’t go put on the cold rainy days of early Spring.

I also wonder if some primocane blackberries just dont do well on their floricanes. My prime-ark freedom floricanes pretty much all die off in my fairly mild winters. The floricane varieties (triple crown, Arapaho) do not die off in my yard.

I took a trip up to Bay Laurel Nursery this morning. They had a bunch of Baby Cakes left. I ended up buying two, so we’ll see how they do.

2 Likes