Bacterial canker? Gummosis? Borer Damage? Apricot and Aprium

Just read the symptoms but the only one that matches is the weeping.

I’ll peal away some of the sap and see if I can find any holes.

Regardless I think I’ll take the tree out and dump the soil somewhere… Maybe my front open ditch.

1 Like

Try disinfecting the soil using hydrogen peroxide or something like oxidate and a biological control agent lie actinovate sp. the H2O2 will kill beneficial microbes too, but you can reintroduce some with a good compost.

1 Like

The base of the first photo looks like crown gall. If it’s spongy and breaks off easily that’s probably what it is.

I’ll check

I pulled away a lot of the sap from the base of the tree and the trunk with my gloved hand.

It all had the same consistency so I assume it’s all sap. I didn’t see anything that looked or felt different in any way. It was pliable in my hand but still pretty dense.

First photo here shows the trunk after I’ve removed much of the sap. At the top of the colored sap you can see a small leafless branch that has clear sap leaking around it.

Next photo shows the foliage of the apricot.

The last photo is a comparison to how the foliage looks on an aprium.

Now I may well be reading into how the tree looks health wise knowing what happened last year to the same variety apricot. And the aprium isn’t an apricot but the leaves are similar. Also the growing habit of the Katy apricot is more horizontal on the scaffolding so perhaps the leaves just hang differently.

1 Like

My guess is that apricot/aprium isn’t enough difference to matter. They’re both essentially apricots. Pluots would be very much like Japanese plums. All are going to have serious disease issues in your location.

1 Like

BTW my Flavor Grenade Pluot seems to be the happiest and healthiest tree. The leaves reveal it’s predominantly plum heritage.

Photo of the FG

1 Like

I was talking about the first photo, I think- at the base of the tree against the ground.

2 Likes

Aaaahhhhh!

Different tree. That is an aprium that is overall healthy and growing well.

I’ll need to look at that and read up as you’ve already suggested one treatment I can use.

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve been thinking of the tree that is obviously dying.

1 Like

Gall generally has to girdle the tree to kill it and trees are often able to outgrow it. Lucky for me.

1 Like

@Shibumi I found this thread on citation root stocks being susceptible to gall. Is your tree on citation?

1 Like

I went and look at the base of my Summer Delight Aprium which is also a DWN tree and on Citation. There seems to be something that looks like crown gall, although I had seen this before when planting I thought it was something related to Apricot’s grow habit which is knotty. Is this crown gall?

1 Like

The current Peaceful Valley (groworganic) website shows the Katy apricot on Rootpac-R.

So mine IS on Citation… Bummer. That same tree is now on Rootpac-R in their catalog which is supposed to be good wet soil tolerant.

I’m going to graft a few scions from this tree to others to try to at least get some of the wood growing for future grafting of a new tree.

given you’ve invested time and effort in this tree already. Why not give NOGALL a try to see if it helps? perhaps you can root drench now and dig it out during dormant season and soak the roots with NOGALL.

Just checked and my cot-n-candy aprium and flavor grenade pluot are also on Citation.

I can’t find NOGALL on Amazon.

If you have a link please post.

Thanks

1 Like

From my POV it does not matter what you do, You’re fighting a losing battle. With over 50+ years experience, none of those plants you’re trying will do well in these deep south locations. Flavor Grenade will do ok for a little while, then bacterial diseases will wipe it out too. However, FG does quite well grafted to peach on a ongoing basis. I graft a few new ones every year.

2 Likes

I am planning on getting some Lovell (peach) rootstock and hopefully some adara/puente scions to root and graft.

Assuming my FG survives until next year I may graft my own tree onto the Lovell or adara, whatever is compatible.

Adara is said to be compatible with all Japanese plums and FG is mostly plum parentage.

1 Like

So my second try at Katy apricot has given me two set fruit just one year after planting.

We’ll see if they make it.