Bagged vs. un-bagged Z7 goldrush apples

@mamuang, that bagged tree is a work of art.

1 Like

Thank you. Only us, fruit growers, could see this as work of art. When my friends see this, they often question my sanity :grin:

Iā€™ve bagged several hundreds this year just for apples.

3 Likes

To me, Gold Rush is not more or less delicate than other apples when applying fruit sox. It is easier to put them on whem fruit are a bit bigger so stems are stronger (I used to use fruit sox). I personally think it is easier to apply plastic bags than fruit sox. Thatā€™s why I switch. Waiting longer to put fruit sox on means you may more times. I sprayed Surround with Spinosad 3 times before I bagged.

If you want to spray Surround without Spinosad or bagging, it is possible but it is not as effective. You will also need more spray depending on your pest pressure.

northwoodswis4: Iā€™ve had sixteen other apple trees fruiting in my care. None have seemed so delicate directly after orchard sox covering. Hunt Russet, Claygate, Winekist & Redfield drop no fruit in June. Liberty and Rambour Franc had the most June drop, even after thinning - a good thing in both cases. Dā€™Arcy Spice dropped 'em all after a heat wave: May, June, July, as soon or late as it came.

This Gold Rush is big enough to grow out a few initial samples. The two remaining are low and slowly getting size. Other trees have done the same in the first year of any bloom. Somehow Iā€™d expected otherwise with Gold Rush.

Mamuang: Orchard sox, plastic baggies - they arenā€™t on for looks, are they? Clear bags were easier to apply, but had several issues in this climate. In my situation, earwigs hunkering under the opening of orchard sox is the chief complaint, but in most cases do little damage. Your tree is years older than mine - nice shape and spread of fruit!

1 Like