Bagging plums with bread bags. Open to suggestions/comments

I don’t have good luck bagging peaches with zip lock bags.

Bob Vance’s dad has been very successful using zip lock bags on peaches. Bob posted his dad’s bags on one of the threads. Can’t remember which one.

Mamuang,
I’m giving this a try using something similar to your method. The test is on a plum that I don’t mind losing fruit on using old bread bags, ziplock gallons and quart bags etc… There is heavy insect pressure here. I cut the corner out of the bags and will hybridize this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug34jxEcOzo and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOdy2pAc63A. I pruned the branches back to where the heaviest clusters of fruit are at prior to bagging them. Any fruit showing insect damage I thinned out of the clusters prior to bagging.

2 Likes

Will the fruits mature with the leaves pruned off? That is where the photosynthesis occurs.

1 Like

northwoodswis4 ,
I did not prune all the leaves off and new leaves will form in the bags, I suspect the plums will ripen faster than normal. We will find out more pretty soon. I spent the remainder of the day thinning the plums off that I did not bag. Thanks @mamuang for this post on bagging fruit I think it’s one of the best. The follow up post A good result of bread bag bagging Shiro plums was inspiring!

1 Like

Clark,
Thanks for the kind words.
The credit goes to Alcedo as it is his technique.

1 Like

Mamuang,
I found the thread Bagging fruits on the tree, for insect and disease protection - #34 by Auburn you were talking about and I see the post now. Thank you very much for posting your success because that’s the post that helped me. I’m looking at the other post now and see a lot of people are bagging their fruits!

I noticed bags that raintree offers that look reasonably priced as well http://m.raintreenursery.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.raintreenursery.com%2FApple-Maggot-Control-Bags-144-Bags.html&width=412

Those look like the nylon footies I just bought online for about $10,including shipping.Same amount also. Brady
http://www.amazon.com/Foot-Sox-Original-Sanitary-Disposable/dp/B008NCHM9Y?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
This actually goes to a redirect.On the right is a column that has Shoe Stuff 4 Less selling them.That’s who I purchased them from. Brady

1 Like

Clark and Brady,
A few years ago, I used foot sox or footies bagging peaches. I even used the ones soaked in Surround hoping for extra protection. I bought mine from Home Orchard Society.

I feel that they can’t protect against Plum curculios or oriental fruit moths. I saw several sox got holes through (either enter or exit wounds). After that, I stopped using them.

I think they can protect against apple maggot flies and maybe, codling moths on apples. Sone people use footsies on apples but to me, plastic zip lock bags on apples are easier and cheaper to use.

I will try bread bags on peaches next year if I have peaches.

People have tried to find ways to protect fruit organically. Some methods are more effective than the others. Mr. Clint’s screen pouches can protect against squirrels, too. That’s a big plus.

1 Like

I know we don’t have Plum Curculios here but am not sure about Oriental Fruit Moths.This is more like an experiment to see if the fruit turns out any better on one tree.The pests,Earwigs and Stinkbugs,for now,leave the other Nectarines alone. Brady

1 Like

Mamuang,
My technique needs improvement but I like the method! Here are a couple of pictures of what I got!

5 Likes

@clarkinks,
The fruit looked good. Are those plums? If so, were they Toka.

I have tons of bread bags still sitting in the box. No peaches or plums to bag :grimacing:

1 Like

Mamuang,
They are a good tasting seedling plum we grow here. They are very delicious! It does look just like Methley. I purchased this batch of seedlings from Sandusky Nursery so Methley could have been one of the parents.

Has anyone tried to use longer bags fashioned out of fiberglass screen that is typically used for windows. I’m considering doing this in 2017 if I have enough stone fruit to justify the effort. My first thoughts is about a one foot diameter cylinder open on both ends (staple ends after applying) that can be the used for many years. Remove after fruit ripens. I see the advantage of low moisture buildup and sprays could also be applied.

3 Likes

Bill the grasshoppers in my area eat those vinyl screens. It’s hard to take a picture of it but this is my screen door. Might be a good idea to stick with aluminum. @MrClint uses them Homemade metal screen fruit protectors

1 Like

Many years ago when we had a heavy gypsy moth infestation the adult caterpillars ate the vinyl screens. Also the the birds pecked through the polyethylene woven bags I used this year. Using aluminum is a good idea. I’m wondering how successful paper bags have been.

3 Likes

Mamuang, thanks so much for your continued experimentation with exclusion bags on peaches.

So many suggestions - perforated bread bags, surgical (bouffant) caps etc, paper bags, footies etc - hard to know what actually works.

Last year was my first peach crop, I tried organza bags, but put them on too late, and have since read that organza is not effective for oriental fruit moth anyway.

A few questions:

1. I don’t fully understand your method with the bread bags. Why slice them in half? Even with a few staples, surely the OFM gets through the gaps? Why not use an intact bag?

2. I have noticed that since posting about the bread bags, you have indicated elsewhere that you will try Clemson bags rather than the bread bags. Any particular reason?

3. alternatively has anyone tried using perforated ziplock bags on peaches? I have seen them advertised on the internet. My understanding is that regular ziplock bags are unsuitable for peaches, but they I find them to be a very reasonable solution for other fruit such as apples.

The bread bags were used on plums because plum fruit are small. It would be a pain to bag individual plum. With large braed bags, i do not need to use the whole bags. When I cut them in half, I still can cover the whole branches very well. Save me some bags.

I am nit sure how I should describe my stapling techniques. I grabbed two sides, lined them up well, folded the edge together and stapled. Doing it this way, there would be no holes/gaps for bugs to get through.

Clemson bags are intended for peaches. The bags are too large for plums. It would be wasteful.

Ziplock bags for apples are done all the times.

1 Like

@Auburn
Auburn/Bill has used his home made perforated zip lock bags on fruit. Can’t recall if Bill ever used them on peaches.

@BobVance, his dad has used zip lock plastic bsgs on peaches successfully.

1 Like

I hope to be able to test the bags on nectarines next year.

1 Like