Bagging plums with bread bags. Open to suggestions/comments

We are crazy. Those who spray chemicals must think we are insane :smile:

3 Likes

@mamuang

PC are so persistent.

I use a literal ton of these each year. you can reuse them. if anyone wants some let me know I’ll send you a handful or three to try out. I fold crease them to make them not touch the fruit as much as possible

they stop birds, most bugs if you get them on early, but squirrels will not stop. I am going to eat every squirrel this year, I’m through being nice. we humanely relocated (legally) 35 squirrel last year. that’s 35 chicken dinners I missed out on. my partner has a soft heart but I’m putting my foot down and making them eat Appalachian food for a change.

the bags (with a squirrel chaser);

last year’s missed dinners:

1 Like

Yup, for any bag, it is important to not allow it to touch the fruit. It is a lot easier said than done, esp. organza bags. That’s why these nylon bags have better results.

I have pics of bags ruined by squirrels and, possibly, raccoons and opossums.

No way I eat them. I hate all rodents.

2 Likes

@clarkinks
Plum Curculio, Oriental Fruit moth and brown rot have led me to give up growing fruit trees organically.

After many years of playing nice, I am not nice anymore.

5 Likes

I’ll only eat squirrel though I grew up around people who would eat any and everything. they’re about like rabbits really, chicken fried they do taste like chicken. you couldn’t pay me to eat raccoon though.

the nylon is still strong as when I bought it, they’re almost two years old. getting a good strong crease in it and not bagging leaves inside makes it safer from insect