Bark damage on cherry tree

Hello, I have a one-year-old cherry tree that appears to have shot hole fungus. I determined that from the leaves. However, I just noticed that about 3 inches of its bark looks damaged. I’ve attached a photograph. Can anyone tell me if this is part of the fungus problem or something unrelated? Thank you!

1 Like

Looks like canker. Can be fatal,not always though. Depends on type.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your response. Can you suggest any treatments? I’ve read mixed things about putting on a sealant. Also I read I should use a copper spray. Do you happen to know when that should be applied? In the autumn? I’m in NY. Thanks!!

1 Like

Btw this is a flowering cherry, not a fruit tree, though next to a fruit tree, which I’m afraid will get canker too.

The best treatment is to cut it out but that does not look possible. You can spray copper any time you use less when the tree is growing. Copper is best as a preventative, but I would spray it. More important spray your other tree! You can wait till the fall to do it. As once leaves fall you can up the dose. The best copper is Kocide, look at our spray amounts guide for how much to use. Lime-sulfur is another decent product, but copper is better for canker. You won’t cure it, but the tree should live many years with it. And infection can stay local. Copper can be used on many plants for various problems, so it is a useful spray to have. Try it on powdery mildew on anything or blight, septoria, on tomatoes etc.
Here is the spray amounts guide. Kocide only lists per acre, so it is useful!