Bartlet Pear in Z3?

Have recently read Bartlets are being successfully grown in both Wisconsin and Montana. Thinking may try here in SK, but have more reading to do. I realize the general description is usually, zone 5, but we have other trees that aren’t supposed to live here, either. Thoughts? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

I think the only way to know is to try it and give it a lot of protection when young (treat it like a fig)

U Minnesota extension has a paper on cold hardy pears and does NOT list Bartlett among them

But several are Bartlett-like: Ure, Patten, Luscious

best of luck

2 Likes

In AB grew Juliene, which to me are a bartlet in every way except they’re 60% of the size. Still kicking myself for not planting the when we moved here…7 yrs ago. Only reason I didn’t is while I loved them, I’m the only one in the family that did. (picture homer simpson going, doh)

Here’s where I came across the z3 bartlet possibility: Bartlett Pear — Montana Fruit Tree Company

Currently have Favoritka which 2 were diseased and I dug out and burned poste haste, one is surviving, the last I plan to dig out next spring as it’s doing nothing. Last spring planted two Krazulia, honestly it’ll be a couple yrs before I can pass judgement.

thanks for the post.

definitely reach out to them - they have z2 pears (which is cool) and it seems like they have stuff from St Lawrence also (www.slngrow.com)

On the St Lawrence nurseries website they have Beierschmidt (a bartlett seedling) and say it is -50 winter hardy; quite a few cold hardy ones

both those nurseries seem to have more up-to-date info than U Minn extension and didn’t realize pears could happen in z2

cool

I wonder when it was the last time it -50F in or near Potsdam, NY?

1 Like

that is a good point

it gets cold but not -50F

maybe they have a 75 year old orchard? Beierschmidt is from 1900

From the St Lawrence Nurseries catalog description

Please let us know how Krazulya tastes; early super hardy, super disease-resistant, great flavored pear? Seems too good to be true, but maybe

Here’s a writeup on the Beierschmidt Pear; looks interesting. Fruit | Albemarle Ciderworks & Vintage Virginia Apples

Yes one of the pear wizards on GF @mayhaw9999 is a big fan of Beierschmidt

I dont know about -50, but Beireschmitt has seen plenty of -20 to -28 lows here. It hasn’t been through a real test winter yet though.

Theres plenty of zone 5 in Wisconsin also, FWIW.

Southworth is supposed to be similar to Barlett, and is much hardier. Mine haven’t fruited yet, but have seen -38 without any dieback

1 Like

You are correct, I’m a fan of Beierschmitt or Beierschmidt. Both are in the GRIN database copied below. I know nothing about winter hardiness. The coldest I have ever experienced was -3F in north Mississippi in the early 80s. The description in the St. Lawrence catalog is incorrect - it is not a long-necked pear. I have photos in the Pear harvest 2023 thread here Pear harvest 2023 - #9 by Richard
GRIN:
"Accession Names and Identifiers

‘Beierschmitt’

Type: Cultivar name

EUROPEAN CULTIVAR

Type: Site identifier

Group: CROPTYPE

CPYR 1062

Type: Other or unclassified name

Group: LOCAL

Named for J.A. Beirerschmitt.

CPYR 1306

Type: Inventory

NSSL 423167

Type: Inventory

Narrative

Beierschmidt (PI 541455). Originated in Fairbanks, Fayette County, Iowa, by J.A. Beierschmidt. Introduced in 1927. Considered to be a seedling of Bartlett; seed planted by Marie Beierschmidt, mother of J.A. Beierschmidt, about 1900; first fruit borne about 1908 to 1910; original…"

3 Likes

Hi ECSask - I’m in the Upper Midwest roughly US z3 and though I know there are some Bartlets planted around here ( in more of a z4 locations) even our local Soil Conservation Service doesn’t sell Bartlet (they sell Patten, Parker and Luscious). We planted a Bartlet over 40 years ago but it winter killed the first year or two. If you search the site for “hardy pears” you’ll find many good discussions and recommendations for more reliable cold hardy pears than Bartlet including some info from Saskatchewan growers. When I was reseaching pears to graft that’s where I mainly went for suggestions (Saskachewan). I think there are some good options for Bartlet-like pears for the north. Most of my pears are young and not fruiting yet though I have gotten one Sierra and that tree is doing well. Hoping soon for Patten, Nova and Southworth. I have fruited Summercrisp and Stacey but I wouldn’t recommend either of them and they are both small pears anyway. But every location is different and as someone said, you’ll only know by planting. And being very patient! Wish you the best with whatever pears you decide to grow. Sue

5 Likes

Thanks Sue, great info.