Basic Tips For New Grafters #2: Different Grafts (Discussion Needed)

Worked Reliance into a multi graft tree the same day, and 11 days later we have a sign of bud breaking!

1 Like

you can also do a simple whip graft on toothpick sized scion and stock. It is called micrografting and is often used by some commercial grafters using avocado or citrus seedlings that just sprouted. There is no need to cover the grafts as the greenhouse is kept humid as the grafts heal.

The scion and stock are joined together using a soft clip to hold them together after cutting matching whips, similar to tomato seedling grafts. I have even tried it myself and it works. I still have a few of these grafting clips somewhere in my garage! And for Avocados using this micrografting technique, I cover the whole pot with plastic tent. I could not find the link to the avocado micrografting… so here’s how it’s done in tiny tomato seedlings. Many companies use machines to graft tomatoes to disease resistant stocks or to potatoes or eggplants today but they use small seedlings.

google for “tomato grafting clip” and you will see plenty of folks selling these clips! very quick to do on very soft and tiny stems.

7 Likes

I know that many people have better experience grafting peaches when temps reach mid 70s to mid 80s.

Ive grafted mostly plum and ive found that they can be grafted anytime during spring with over 90% takes(although they will start growing alot faster when its warmer.

This is the first time im going to graft apricot and im wondering if its better to treat them like peaches or can i just graft them now. Temps will be mid 60s highs and 40’s lows?

Don’t know your zone. I am in zone 6 a. I graft plums about the same time I graft apples and pears, all with a success rate in a high 90.

I treat apricot similar to peach/nects. Graft when temp is in high60 or low 70 and remains that high 2- 3 days or more in a row. Have been very successfull this way. I do feel peaches/nects/apricots need warmer temp than plums or apples.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Just FYI: here is a pic of my “expose the cambium, then mash ‘em together” graft. (Patent pending, lol.)

15 Likes

What a hoot! I sure hope you keep us up to date as this thing matures. I’d love to see how it adjusts.

2 Likes

Very interesting.how strong is the union?

1 Like

It seems pretty strong, though of course it’s tough to say exactly without pulling it apart.

It didn’t have any extra support this winter, and seemed to get through wind and rain just fine.

I’d say if anything, it seems to have made that branch stronger at the expense of flexibility.

1 Like

I wonder if you could use those clips to graft smaller seedling fruit trees. Anyone know the age of consent for fruit trees to be grafted? :laughing:

4 Likes

you can always try! I have tried them and got away with it, underage, no consent needed. The smallest ones I’ve seen were from a video of University California Riverside where they micrografted a tiny as a hair stem, under a microscope and precision equipment controls, a technique that they use to make disease free germplasm material. Could not find the link to it.

2 Likes

I should also say that the graft is joined at the entire two inch part where the original tree branch and the scion overlap. It’s not just a single point contact. So that helps with the strength/stability.

I like that. I’ve got some thin Scion and thin rootstock. I’ll try it.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the only reason I tried this. The scion wood I got was soooo tiny, I didn’t think my knife skills were up to doing anything besides this!

This one goes into my file under “mash em together” LOL

3 Likes

Reminds me of a z-graft but without the flaps at the ends of the scion and the stock. Maybe those flaps could even improve your very handy graft.

1 Like

Look up “pleaching”. This is how I am connecting my apple hedges.

Also, I couldn’t resist peeling back some of rubber to see how the healing process is going. Here’s one of the above limbs:

Don’t know if you can tell but it has basically healed smooth over the graft before I scratched it just now peaking.

2 Likes

I found this video, this gentleman has a really interesting “holder” for grafting. It’s a grainy video but he appears to have leather nailed inside the “mouth” and a piece of fence wire that runs down to a pedal (I’m picturing a block of wood) on the floor for holding it closed while he cuts. Made out of scrap leather, scrap wood and a big hinge. More complicated than a CD (fantastic idea IMHO) for not cutting yourself but if one were doing lots of bench grafts it might be nice!

5 Likes

I believe that may be AppleNut here on this forum (Kuffel Creek).

1 Like

My first thought too!

1 Like