Beach Plum - Varieties Available for Sale?

Thanks @Audi_o_phile - that one looks like a seedling, which is what I’m trying to get away from :wink:

There’s an interesting article out there about the history of native plum culture in north america and describing the early rise and unfortunate later fall of native plums in popularity as a result of the combination of European (and Asian?) plums and the evolution of increasingly effective transportation in north america. Of course I can’t find the article at the moment :frowning: Will look for it later. [Found it!]

I would love to get some native plums, especially if I could locate some of the historical selections, but based on what I read in the above, that’s unlikely.

@Petebacher, are you looking for native plums in general, or specifically for ones that are labeled “beach plums”. I have additional sources for the former, just not for the latter.

At the moment I’m just focused on beach plums. But it it’s not a pain, I’d be interested in hearing about available native selections / improved varieties you’re aware of!

Does the “Found it!” link in my post above not work??? I just tried clicking it and it does nothing for me! (I just fixed it and it’s also below)

That link: Recalling Plums from the Wild | Arnold Arboretum

1 Like

@Petebacher, when I first started on the forum I found this thread to very educational on native plums and selected varieties. Many of the best ones would be best sourced from members on the forum, as they might be willing to dig root suckers and provide them to you. I’ve recently been able to go that route and received 3 small plum trees.

There are many other plum threads that might be helpful, I would suggest using the word “Chickasaw” or maybe “native” in your search string.

In my research I determined that these plum varieties (not all native) sounded the most like winners for where I live: Toole’s Heirloom, Guthrie, Odom, McKibben, Marianna (when pollinized by native hog plum), Excelsior, followed by Robusto and Munson.

1 Like

That Arboretum link was a great read. Thank you for posting that @Petebacher.

Yes, I have unfortunately fallen down the native plum rabbit hole this spring. I have my hands full enough with my BPs, let alone scouring the interwebs for chicksaws and the like. Got out my copies of Waugh and Plums of New York, but have since put them away because they’re just making me realize how much we’ve lost in the hundred plus years since they were written. I’m sure many of the native plums in those books and the incredible Eastern Shore Nurseries catalog I posted in the Chickaw thread (or their offspring) are still out there, but they won’t be for that much longer as land continues to be developed. How do we get out and find them? I’m searching for the Eastern Shore Nurseries site, but I don’t have high hopes of locating any trees (I suspect it’s been developed). Note that there’s an existing nursery with the same name that I believe is NOT the same one.

1 Like

@Petebacher, I suspect that there are a great many selected varieties that have been lost to the ravages of time. I went to the tremendous length to text a very large number of people that I know who either grew up in the countryside or have family in the hinterlands. Only one of them evidenced any awareness of native plum trees, and when he contacted his father they had been removed many years before. I lucked out that people on the forum have been generous, and I hope to be able to gather some additional specimens from the Alabama farm property now belonging to a friend.

1 Like

Wow! Glad to hear you tried! I’m very into fruit exploring. I do most of my work online and in old books (research), rather than in the field, though I do field work as well once my research falls into (good enough) place. Funny thing is that I hiked a lot growing up and can’t recall ever coming across a native/wild plum tree, or at least I didn’t recognize them when I did come across them. I have a Wild Goose plum in my front garden that is full of buds this year - looks like WAY more than I would expect on a “typical” plant so maybe mine is a good one? Got it from Ken Asmus at Oikos, which I believe he propagated as seedlings. Last year it flowered but I got no fruit, so I will be driving around to locate blooming plums in a few days to do some hand pollinating. There are a bunch of purple landscape plums at a supermarket nearby that grow 1-1/2" plums I will check for blooms. Hopefully I get my BPs settled this season, so I can focus on other native plums a bit next year… we’ll see.

1 Like

Check with @coolmantoole, a native plum expert for leads.

2 Likes

Thank you, @hambone. One of the Chickasaw plums that I was gifted is actually a Toole’s Heirloom. I am very excited to be able to grow out such a special plum tree.

I had both independently observed as well as read that Marcus is less active here now than he was in the past, but I would be more than willing to drive to the Statesboro area for a Bouie Plum or the other storied varieties that @coolmantoole writes about.

1 Like

marcus has a plum Facebook group that I can’t recall the name of but maybe you can google it.

1 Like

FWIW he’s relatively active in at least one plum-related Facebook group; I am following his posts there.

1 Like

I appreciate it gentlemen, GrowingFruit.org is the nearest that I get to a social network.

2 Likes

withdrawn

Here is what I have of Chickasaw cultivars:

Toole’s Heirloom which is the baseline by which I compare the other natives. Here in Statesboro, GA it ripens in mid June. The fruit has kind of a pineapple / Hawaiian punch flavor. The fruit is golfball size. It suckers profusely and makes a good root stock for other plums. My dad got the original tree that I know about from somewhere when I was a child, but I have no idea where. It’s red when soft ripe, but I like them best when they are gold on one side and red orange on the other.

Guthrie is available commercially through Just Fruits and Exotics. It produces ping pong ball size fruit. It’s a couple of weeks earlier than Toole’s heirloom. The fruit is tart until soft ripe and tastes a bit like peach. It’s a bit smaller tree when grown on Toole’s Heirloom rootstock. It ripens yellow with some orange.

Odom used to be commercially available through Just Fruits and Exotics, but I’m not sure that it still is. It ripens in July and is the latest ripening of the Chickasaw cultivars so far. It fruit is quite a bit larger than Toole’s Heirloom. It’s sweet but not particularly flavorful. It ripens red.

Sonny’s Yellow. I got mine from Brad Harper from Waycross Georgia. He got his original tree from his grandmother who got her’s from an Uncle Sonny. It’s a big golden yellow plum. It’s really pretty and bigger than a golf ball. Like Guthrie its tart but lacks that peach flavor. This tree does not sucker but air layers easily, apparently.

Ridgeland came from a orchardist in Buffort SC. He bought his original seedling from a young girl at an open air market in Ridgeland SC. She told him that the seeds were collected from a tree growing in a roadside plum thicket with really good fruit. This may be an accidental hybrid because the quality is next level from all the others. Were it not for the dull greenish yellow fruit color, this one would be good enough to sell commercially. It’s a very large fruit. The flavor and fruit color and texture reminds me of the few Green Gage plums I’ve had. However, the plums are larger than Green Gage. It suckers profusely. My tree is still very young, but it’s acting like its going to make a big tree. It blooms very early. In fact its the second earliest blooming of my cultivars. It’s acting like it’s going to be very productive.

NC McKibben. This was sent to me by a friend in Mississippi. Of the Chickasaw types, this seems to make the biggest tree. The fruit brown rots really bad in my climate, and non of my other trees pollenate it very well. By the way, the Chickasaw cultivars with only one exception only seem to be polinized well by wild type chickasaw. NC McKibben blooms too late to overlap bloom time with wild type.

Ms Bessie came to me from a guy in Louisiana. I’m getting plums for the first time this year, so I don’t really know anything about the fruit except that the little plums are already bigger than wild type. It’s the exception to the rule about pollination. It appears to be self fruitful. It blooms to late on my property to overlap with any wild type. It overlapped with several chickasaw that had passed their main bloom but still had a few flowers in the tops. It overlapped well with the Delight and AU Cherry Plums. The tree suckers profusely.

Flee Market came from my friend Carl Moher in Pace FL. He got his from a flea market in GA. The vender was selling what looked to Carl like chickasaw seedlings as “apricots”. His trees have not been as intensely cultivated as mine. But we know enough to say that the fruit is red. Mine have fruit on them for the first time this year. It’s the earliest blooming of all my cultivars. The fruit is already larger than Guthrie plums and are still very green and growing. My trees are grafted, so I can’t comment on suckering. They appear to be fairly dwarf trees even when growing on their own roots.

I keep finding strains, but I’m out of space. For those hunting Chickasaw type cultivars, here is a hint that I’ve found helpful. At least here in SE Georgia they are super popular among older African Americans from rural backgrounds. Many older rural African Americans can tell stories about who had good strains. Thanks all.

9 Likes

@coolmantoole, that is an awesome update with a lot of varieties I hadn’t yet read about! Thank you very much Marcus! Now I just have to figure out how to come by all of the best ones. Hmmm.

Most of them are random strains I’ve found with a little help from Facebook and friends. I’ve actually came up with a lot of the names myself or followed suggestions from folks I got the plums from. I actually have two others that aren’t doing well and haven’t made yet which I didn’t mention because I can’t say much about them. I work for Habitat for Humanity of Bulloch County. A house that’s next door to two houses we just finished has a yard full of chickasaw cultivars. She doesn’t know much about them, and there are not wild plums around which means they haven’t made for her. I’m out of space or else I would have gotten a sucker from her. We need to try to preserve the strain. So, if anyone has space for a complete unknown Chickasaw cultivar, I can work on getting a sucker for them this coming winter.

Green Ridgeland Plums growing on the Ridgeland plum tree.

2 Likes