Beach plums

No bitter taste, these were selected for annual productivity, size, processing quality

4 Likes

16 Likes

Yum!

2 Likes

@JesseinMaine, what are the approximate dimensions of that beach plum shrub? I’m curious how vigorous these are in Maine. I can’t quite tell from your image but it appears to be pretty tall. Do you think it would be easy to keep it limited to 4 feet in height without too much hassle?

what rootstock is it on? I imagine that has a noticeable effect. Ive seen some on their own roots (seedlings from Fedco I believe) that are quite mature not far from me, and theyre round shrubs about 6’ high and 8’ wide. @JesseinMaine, your multigraft looks more like how imagine my beach plums will look someday. I grafted them to american plum

Mine are around 7’ tall x 10’ wide. I have pruned them as standards (defined trunk and open base) to promote airflow. On the ones I’ve top worked or frame worked over to other varieties I prune out growth below the grafts which give those a bit of a gangly look

3 Likes

These are all on beach plum roots

3 Likes

Here is a good example of an older P Americana that I manage for my neighbor. It came from eastern Wa back in 1983 when my neighbor moved here. I studied it for several years after he let me help manage it, trying to understand how to improve production. You can see that I have tied the majority of the scaffolds down. The older tree has produced a number of suckers which I have thinned out to give everyone adequate sun exposure. Last fall I created a horse manure compost around the thicket to conserve moisture and provide nutrients. Once I trimmed off the majority of thorns managing the trees was much easier. This year we could see a remarkable increase in plums produced. The fruit is very similar but slightly smaller although quite sweeter than the Stanley plum. Each year I save the seeds to plant for my next generation thicket nearby on a stream bed. Its growth character is very similar to the beech plums many describe herein. My neighbor said the old western cedar tree stump was here when he came. It’s been fun working with such an established thicket!
Dennis
Kent, wa
Typical fruits

Looking east

Looking westward

3 Likes