Beauty plum is about to ripen

Lavina is overly vigorous, watch out that it doesn’t get out of control. I don’t know what stock I have it on.

Lavinia is VERY vigorous indeed. I grafted it onto P. americana last spring (2017) and it outgrew all other grafts at least 2-fold and ended up being a multi-branched 7 footer. And that is after being partially broken off in a windstorm, being re-wrapped and staked and recovering. Look forward to trying this plum in a year or two!

1 Like

Tony,
These are my Beauty plums. Several were overripe, mushy and were thrown away. These are not. Unfortunately, we have had rain on and off for the past five days. It tasted like water with a little sugar in it. Near the seed it was sour/tart. This plum variety is very juicy.

They don’t ripe at the same time on the same branch so it is difficult for me because I bagged the whole branch. Trying to figure out if they are ripe inside bags covered with Surround is not easy, either.!!!

I have to say, its ripening timing that has coincided with lot of rain makes this Beauty not so beautiful, taste-wise.

2 Likes

Yes,. Too much rain during harvest season is bad. I got some Satsuma and Flavor King are about ready in a few weeks and I am hoping for a little dry weather.

Tony

My beauty plum has Red - yellow flesh, heart shape, very juicy nothing special and not too sweet. Really disappointed about its flavor .

2 Likes

Too much moisture?

2 Likes

Probably. I won’t water any more hopefully the rest of fruits improving theirs flavor.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t care for Beauty fresh eating, and still trying to figure out if the locals who like it actually prefer it to plums I consider better, or just don’t get much fresh home-grown fruit.

This year I’ve had Beauty plums from 3 separate trees grown at different sites, and all similarly disappointing. Watery, relatively bland unless under-ripe, tart skin and tart near the pit.

They make good jam. The skins add a nice color and tartness to go with the sugar.

In my experience they also bear heavily, early, precociously and reliably.

4 Likes

Jam from Beauty plum. Its very good . But not too good for fresh eating to me in Pacific Northwest weather.

6 Likes

My beauty plum this year tasting wonderful, very juicy and sweet. So I think maybe because of hot and dry summer weather.
Big difference than before even fruits still on the same beauty plum tree ,(7/27/21)

5 Likes