Beauty Plum

Humorously, Citation is the most vigorous root stock for my soils and climate.

I have Beauty plum in the second leaf. I am not sure how hardy it will be in Nebraska. I flowered this spring in very adverse weather and it managed to set several fruitlets, hope they survive for me to taste them. It is good to know that it is a good pollinator for the other plums.

Of Dave Wilson nursery? Wow, like in a conversation?

I like beauty because it has so much tartness and pigment that it, with the help of a boatload of sugar, cooks into a very colorful and flavorful syrup or jam.

Its also healthy, vigorous, early, and reliable for me but requires thinning.

1 Like

I first met him in the 90’s at a conference. I then became his customer when I opened a nursery in 2004. I ceased my nursery business in 2012 and now only occasionally see him at public events.

1 Like

Beauty and Methley are two of the Asian plums recommended for the Pacific Northwest by the Bullock Brothers of Orcas Island Permaculture reknown.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

Pruned from 14’ to 5’.

5 Likes

Check out these plums on the tree, plus a few more on the ground from recent storms. I picked four of them from the tree today – absolutely delicious :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Here’s my pruning and thinning from yesterday, topped at 5.5 feet.

4 Likes

I need to be much more ruthless when pruning

Maybe. It depends how vigorously your plants grow out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Richard: do you think you’ll get enough fruit on the wood that is left? Looks like you’ve taken out a lot. The tree looks beautiful.
Being new to this,I’m always worried about taking out wood with flower buds. I’m sure there’s always plenty left anyway.

@Susu – as you would guess it’s not my first time training a plum tree in this environment. It takes about 5-6 years here instead of the usual 10 years. Here’s what I’m aiming for:

13 Likes

Pruned today :slight_smile:

11 Likes

4 Likes

Stan corrected me … It is a Luther Burbank selection. :slight_smile: Here’s a reference:

2 Likes

4 Likes

First ripe Beauty fruits of the season :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How’s the texture for you? Mine are almost bags of juice. I don’t care for them but a number of people love them.

2 Likes

Depending on ripeness, they are juicy to very juicy! I like them.

2 Likes

H’m… Mine are quite darker. I like how aromatic and juicy they are, although the flavor is kind of a watered down Santa Rosa.

2 Likes