Beetles (among others)have become a problem- 2020 treatment

Not everyone, and not here. Seven XLR puts the smack down on them when they show up here.

2 Likes

wow! im glad we don’t have them here! we have the regular brown junebugs. most they do is kill grass roots by feeding on them but the beetles themselves don’t feed on anything i grow. my local skunks dig up the grubs out of the lawn for me. :wink: suppose its just a matter of time before this thing gets up here. how do the big orchards around you guys deal with them? seems they could put a farmer/ nursery out of business in short order!

2 Likes

I still got some Imadin leftover, I bought about 24 years ago( 25lb), still works, add a little s,oil.good bye beetle. The nice thing is, the following year very light, hardly any. I just spray ones, maybe twice per season.

2 Likes

@39thparallel, @clarkinks Did either of you guys build traps for June Beetles or just Japanese beetles? I see where they offer lure for each, just wondering if the same style of trap would work for both, just change lures? Both June and Japanese were terrible last year, worst I have ever seen them.

2 Likes

I find that insecticidal soap works on the Japanese beetles, but 5 minutes later there are more arriving

2 Likes

I was just inquiring with greatlakesipm about our top orchard pests and received this excellent response from Laurie with details on lures we need to build or buy traps. I think we need to target stink bugs as well in my location. I know stink bugs were also brought up and have been multiple other times on numerous posts. @alan deals with many pests on a regular basis for his customers so he may have additional insight on dealing with these agressive pests. @alan because of your reminder i included an inquiry for stinkbugs and feel they could be dealt with using similar traps.

"Dear Clark,

Yes, we do sell a trap for the green June beetle. The recommendation is using the Japanese Beetle Trap Top Green with the Japanese Beetle Trap Cage.

Parts number are as follows:

GL/TR-9001-02G JB Trap Tops Green 2 per case $ 21.00

GL/TR-9001-25G JB Trap Tops Green 25 per case $ 262.50

GL/TR-9002-02 JB Trap Cage 2 per case $ 15.80

GL/TR-9002-25 JB Trap Cage 25 per case $ 195.00

GL/TR-3449-02 Green June Beetle Lure 2 per case $ 18.00

GL/TR-3449-10 Green June Beetle Lures 10 per case $ 45.40

We also carry the Brown Marmorated Stinkbug Lures and the Stinkbug Stiky Dual Panel Traps.

GL/TR-3326-05 Stinkbug Stiky Dual Panel Traps 5 per case $ 18.83

GL/TR-3718-05 Trécé PHEROCON BMSB Dual Lures 5 per case $ 32.65

Laurie Darmody

Great Lakes IPM

7563 N Crystal Rd

Vestaburg MI 48891

989-268-5693

From: noreply@greatlakesipm.com <noreply@greatlakesipm.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:07 AM
To: Laurie Darmody <ldarmody@greatlakesipm.com>
Subject: Contact Us

Your Name Clark
Your Email [Clarkinks
Question or Comment Do you have any traps that will work for the green junebeetle? They have became a huge problem in recent years as i discussed on this online fruit growing forum Beetles (among others)have become a problem- 2020 treatment
In addition may i ask if you have effective stink bug lures available?

I will speak with @39thparallel to see if he can modify some traps for me this year to address these concerns. This trap he built last year worked excellent as discussed here The Ultimate Japanese Beetle trap

7 Likes

The last 3 years they have hit pretty heavily here in denver, Last year was the first year i went ahead and did the trapping with a similar set up like clarks but with a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon or so of soapy water. It filled up to 4 or so gallons with nasty decaying beetles. I also used Beetle Gone / Grub Gone product and had applied milky spore the year before. Like clark says they really travel far. They defoliate to the ground my grapes in one or two days from spotting them. They eat on apples pretty hard as well as my Am/asian supreme plum. They hurt the raspberries as well. This may sound crazy but after flowering the JB’s hit my quince tree hard and it came up with quince rust and fireblight and then spread it to every apple they hit (Atleast the FB the quince rust i was worried would jump species as there was strange damage) These are by far our number one enemy and a newish pest to our region so i hope some birds learn to start eating them.

3 Likes

@ctduckhunter @clarkinks I may try using both JB and GJB lures on the same traps. They feed in swarms side by side so, I don’t know why it wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

That clay product is called Surround and it’s amazingly effective. Has to be reapplied after rains.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I’m ordering lure tomorrow!

2 Likes

@Blake Thanks I will check that out. I have heard chickens eat beetles and can help cut down on the population.

3 Likes

I used Surround for several years, it works well as long as you keep the coverage up. But at some point I decided it was not worth all the work and got milky spore. That was the end of my beetle problem.

4 Likes

For some reason they devour my three pluots’ leaves. They hit a few apples, usually my Honeycrisp and Pristine. They also have got after my Juliet cherry pretty bad.

As far as berries are concerned, they like raspberries and blackberries to a lesser degree.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into the homemade barrel trap contraption.

3 Likes

How much milky spore did you use? Unfortunately it’s no longer OMRI listed for organic use for some reason.

2 Likes

It was a container around the size of a half gallon, for one acre. It was expensive but in the end I think it is the cheapest solution since it lasts 20 years.

Milky spore may be OMRI listed depending on how it was made and whether OMRI certification was applied for. Here is one with an OMRI label on it: Milky Spore Powder Japanese Beetle Control

3 Likes

I used the granules of milky spore. Easy to spread. Ordered on amazon. Each 20lb bag does 7000 sq ft. May do it again in the back field. Get the bacteria established in soil

3 Likes

I noticed milky spore has been brought up but wanted to bring up nematodes as well as discussed on this website. Its important to follow instructions for application as well.
Milky Spore Granular Grub Control
" Combine Milky Spore With Beneficial Nematodes To Maximize Japanese Beetle Grub Control!

Milky Spore contains spores of the bacteria Paenibacillus popilliae (formerly Bacillus popillae ), which work specifically against the grub stage of the Japanese beetle ( Popilia japonica ). It poses no threat to people, animals, plants or beneficial insects. When Milky Spore is introduced into the soil, it will lie dormant until grubs begin feeding on roots where the bacteria is present. Once ingested, the spore multiplies inside the grub with a single spore creating up to 3 billion new spores in each host grub. These spores kill Japanese Beetle grubs in about a week after infection. As the grub decomposes, the billions of spores it contained are released back into the soil to start the whole process again. Over time, Milky Spore fills out the soil creating a soil environment that Japanese beetles simply cannot survive in.

Milky Spore’s effectiveness can be enhanced by the use of NemaSeekbeneficial nematodes. They are unharmed by the infective bacteria and help spread it as the nematode moves through the soil pursuing grubs, weevils and larvae. Apply Milky Spore dry, then water in the NemaSeek for complementary control of grubs.

Coverage Rate: A 20 lb. bag of Milky Spore Granules treats up to 7,000 sq. ft."

I also want to point out the figeater in some areas may be misindentified as the green june beetle Cotinis nitida or japanese beetle Figeater beetle - Wikipedia
Cotinis nitida - Wikipedia
Japanese beetle - Wikipedia
This link further discusses the green june beetle life cycle https://luv2garden.com/june_bugs.html
green_june_bugs
The application rate of nematodes and target species can be seen here NemaSeek Beneficial Nematodes - Heterorhabditis bacteriophora
" NemaSeek Beneficial Nematodes, Heterorhabditis bacteriophora , actively seek out pest insects in the soil. Beneficial Nematodes are live microscopic organisms (non-segmented round worms) that naturally occur in soil throughout the world. The beneficial nematodes we sell are parasitic to insect pests that typically have a developing (larval or pupal) stage of life in the soil. They have been known to parasitize above ground stages of adults, nymphs and larvae. They will not harm mammals, aquatic life, birds, reptiles or amphibians. After being applied to the soil, the nematodes locate pests and enter through various body openings or directly through the body wall. Once inside, the nematodes produce bacteria that is injected into the pest’s blood.

Beneficial Nematodes release the bacteria in order to create food and a proper environment for their own reproduction. As the food resources within the dead pest become scarce, the nematodes exit and immediately begin searching for a new host. As long as there are suitable hosts, nematodes will continue to survive and parasitize in the soil.

Shelf Life: Up to 2 weeks (refrigerated and unopened in original container).

How Much Do I Need? Order enough to treat the full infested area. Quantities and treatment areas are approximate.

Quantity Treatment Area Shipping Method
5 million 1,600 sq. ft. 2nd Day
10 million 3,200 sq. ft. 2nd Day
50 million 1 Acre 2nd Day
250 million 5 Acres Next Day
500 million 10 Acres Next Day

This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Ants (Queen), Asparagus Beetle ( Crioceris asparagi; Crioceris duodecimpunctata ), Banana Moth, Banana Weevil, Berry Root Weevil, Billbug, Black Vine Weevil, Borers (Iris Borer, Tree, Vine), Carrot Weevil ( Listronotus oregonensis ), Chafers(European, Masked), Citrus Root Weevil, Colorado Potato Beetle ( Leptinotarsa decemlineata ), Corn Rootworm, Cranberry Root Weevil, Cucumber Beetle(Spotted) ( Diabrotica undecimpunctata howardi ), Flea Beetles, Gall Midges, Grape Root Borer, Grubs, Humpbacked Flies/Phorid Flies, Japanese Beetle( Popillia japonica Newman ), Leafminers, May/June Bugs ( Phyllophaga sp. ), Root Weevils, Scarabs, Sugarcane Stalk Borer, Sweet Potato Weevil, Ticks" . I also highly recommend everyone consider the methods @scottfsmith uses since some smart alternatives to chemicals are discussed in detail at this link Low-Impact Spray Schedule (2019 Edition)

5 Likes

@39thparallel
Mike,
I think thats a great ideal to draw all the pests in the same trashcan traps using different lures to reduce expense. Can we adapt the traps or something similar to target plum curculio and coddling moth as well? Their numbers are increasing and a control is needed. As you mentioned to me in private conversation the coddling moth are using untreated wild walnut trees as an alternative host so when they arrive at our orchards their numbers are already very high Codling Moth / Walnut / Agriculture: Pest Management Guidelines / UC Statewide IPM Program (UC IPM) . In case anyone is not familiar with curcs but reading this Effectively controlling plum curculio in stone and pome fruits - Fruit & Nuts
Clark

4 Likes

I wanted to bump up the nematode suggestion as i have had very successful results with 3 different nematodes (SF, HB and SC) and think they are key to the natural method and system and work really well for greenhouses and seed starting. The main thing for people to remember is nematodes are weak to pesticides and should be applied in a sprayer you don’t put pesticides in or mixed around and watered into the ground. For people that want to keep there pets free from fleas SC nematodes have worked really well but for fleas usually need a 50 million pack for 1/4 acre with 3 applications the first year (spring summer fall) with following treatments of 50 million every warm spring. Its best to try to release them within a day of recieving them, when you store them in a regridgerator under 40 degrees they think its winter and can then go into a stasis sort of state. If you have a wine refridgerator they can last months and will wake up ready to go right after application. Otherwise a cool closet or cement floor is the best place to store them until releasing them which is done best at night before during after a rain or irrigation.

For full disclosure I do sell nematodes but If someone is ordering large bulk amounts depending on the state they can be much cheaper but clarks link is a good one with fair pricing. What i love about nematodes is over time they will make the problem much better where as most pesticides will just help us breed the next superbug.

4 Likes

The Beetle have a similar MO so, it makes since to try catching them in the same trap. PC and CM hit at a different time. I have never tried to trap PC. I have not had much success using the monitor traps for CM.

5 Likes