Bell Pear aka US84909-391

Adams County Nursery is taking orders for a new pear named “Bell.” Their description of the pear is as follows:

“This exciting new release from the USDA ARS Appalachian Fruit Research Station in Kearneysville, WV is named after the longtime pear breeder, Richard Bell. The fruit has ranked the highest in flavor intensity, flavor balance and juiciness among other pears in its season during years of extensive evaluation. The tree is vigorous and exhibits excellent resistance to fire blight. Trees available spring 2022.”

I can’t find any more information about this pear. Does anyone else have any information about it?

7 Likes

Could it be the same as Gem pear that Cummins is selling?
https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2015/a-new-gem-of-a-pear-released-by-ars-cooperators/

1 Like

@danzeb

Not the same pear it’s one of its many siblings.

@TomJ
I’m going to tell you what i.know about it which isn’t much besides I knew it exists and where it’s from. I’ve known what they were up to for awhile Pear breeding moves toward better varieties - Good Fruit Grower and this is the link https://www.acnursery.com/fruit-trees/pear-trees/456/bell .
Read this post https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Richard_Bell8 . Gem was released earlier. Gem originated from a cross of Sheldon and US62563-004 made in 1970. USDA releases a 'gem' of a new pear - Fruit Growers News
What a Gem! A pear that resists fire blight - Good Fruit Grower
GemPear2
Gem has a different shape than the other pear New pear is twice as nice - Good Fruit Grower

The new pear bell is available here https://peacefulheritage.com/shop/pears/bell-pear-new/

So bell actually is new and different from gem. As mentioned I know of at least 5 more coming Pear breeding moves toward better varieties - Good Fruit Grower
" ar breeding moves toward better varieties

Despite problems, Bartlett remains the pear people love.

September 2010 Issue

Richard Lehnert // September 1, 2010

Richard Bell works to develop better pears with the flavor of Bartlett and resistance to fireblight and pear psylla, and more precocious.

Richard Bell works to develop better pears with the flavor of Bartlett and resistance to fireblight and pear psylla, and more precocious.

One of the problems with pears is their lack of precocity. They stay juvenile, taking up valuable space and waiting just too long to grow up and produce fruit.

That problem is actually a double whammy. If you’re trying to breed better pears, perhaps looking for those that are more precocious, it takes a long time. The breeding cycle in pears from seedling cross to final ­evaluation has traditionally been 30 years or more.

The Bartlett pear, now 250 years old, has yet to be replaced by new varieties. Despite its problems—such as high susceptibility to fireblight—people in both North America and Europe would rather eat a Bartlett than any other pear. In Europe, its name is Williams, after the ­English nurseryman who first propagated the seedling discovered in about 1765.

Still, plant breeders keep trying to exceed Bartlett. The nation’s only public pear-breeding program at the USDA Agricultural Research Service’s Appalachian Fruit Research Station in Kearneysville, West Virginia, is in the process of releasing a new variety—so far unnamed—identified as US71655-014. Dr. Richard Bell, a pear breeder there, says that five more selections will graduate to advanced selection status in 2012, and they will go out to cooperators for evaluation. They’re now at the National Clean Plant Network program at the Washington State University research station in Prosser, Washington, after having been tested and found free of viruses and pear decline before propagation.

While it’s not easy to knock Bartlett out of its position, Bell said, one thing is clear: Varieties from the USDA program all rate 7 or better on the fireblight resistance scale, where 10 is perfect and 3 is Bartlett.

“Fireblight can be devastating in some years,” Bell said. “With the USDA varieties, you may get a few strikes but not the large loss of bearing surface and tree death.”

The new pear, he said, “really looks good in Oregon, Washington, and Michigan. It ripens a week after Bartlett and stores five months in cold storage without scald. The fruit is, however, a little bit smaller than Bartlett.”

The USDA became involved in pear breeding in the early 1900s, Bell said. In the 1960s, when the program was still at Beltsville, Maryland, it released three varieties, of which the best known is Magness, a high-quality but light-cropping pear with low fireblight susceptibility.

Bell has been at Kearneysville since 1980, two years after the station there was established. Since then, his program has released four varieties—Potomac, Blake’s Pride, Sunrise, and Shenandoah.

It takes a long time to evaluate a pear, Bell said. He plants 2,000 to 3,000 seedlings in most years—always trying to find potential varieties that are fireblight resistant, pear psylla resistant, precocious, and productive, with good storage life and excellent fruit quality.

The seedlings will spend eight to ten years in the early evaluation process—much of the time just spent growing and being observed for precocious bearing and fireblight resistance. The fruit is tested for quality, and survivors are increased from one tree to four for further evaluation. Survivors there go out for advanced trials—for ten more years. Cooperators—mostly university experiment stations in Michigan, New York, South Carolina, California, Oregon, and Washington—get four or five trees each to watch and evaluate while ten trees of each advanced selection are evaluated at Kearneysville. Cooperators sometimes put in larger plantings of the best prospective releases.

The trees going out in 2012 were planted as seedlings between 1984 and 1996.

“We’re trying to speed up the process,” Bell said. “We’d like to push them out to cooperators earlier and not wait ten years for the second test.”

Dwarf trees

Bell has worked on several ideas for making pears grow up faster. In apples, that’s usually done with dwarfing rootstocks, but for pears nothing comes close to the size control and precocity apple growers can get from rootstocks like M.9.

“That’s a number-one priority for pear growers in the Pacific Northwest,” he said. “Growers want smaller trees.”

Given the lack of suitable rootstocks, Bell and his colleagues decided the answer was to develop a pear variety that would be dwarfed naturally, without a rootstock. In 1999, he and Dr. Ralph Scorza developed a dwarf Bosc pear using genetic engineering to insert a gene, rolC, from the soil bacteria Agrobacterium rhizogenes. But the tree proved to be just too dwarfed—very small and slow growing.

“We abandoned that approach,” Bell said. “But we know there are several genes that will dwarf trees. There are some, like the genes used in dwarf wheat and rice, that shorten the internodes by controlling gibberellin metabolism. One of these genes is being transferred into scion varieties. It will also be tested in a rootstock variety to determine whether the transgenic rootstock imparts dwarfness and precocity to the scion.”

Bell is also interested in testing other genes involved in phytohormone metabolism that the literature suggests may be involved in growth control and tree ­architecture.

Today, the station has a small planting of prospective dwarfing rootstocks, including about 40 from a breeder at Cornell and about 200 crosses Bell has made. These trees rely on the genetics of Old Home x Farmingdale, the dwarfing rootstocks developed from crosses made in Illinois and at Oregon State University, and two selections from the USDA breeding program. The 200 new crosses have been budded to the Potomac scion variety and are being tested. He hopes to have 10 to 12 selections next year to propagate for further trial, with a goal of getting trees of 50 to 60 percent of full size.

While most of the nation’s pears are grown in the West, Bell sees a revitalization coming in the East as well. The East has processors that want pears for canning and for baby food, and these markets are much more willing to accept high quality fruit that doesn’t necessarily look like a Bartlett as long as it has Bartlett flavor and high processing quality.

"

They gave away a little bit here with ‘Shenandoah’ Pear of what they were up to.

Shenandoah’ is a seedling of ‘Max Red Bartlett’ and US56112-146 (Fig. 1), the cross made in 1977 by T. van der Zwet and R.C. Blake. The parentage is entirely of P. communis origin, and the original source of resistance is presumed to be the old American cultivar, Seckel, thought to be a parent of ‘Barseck’. The original seedling, designated US78304-057, was selected in 1985 by R.L. Bell at the Appalachian Fruit Research Station (AFRS). The selection was further evaluated in a nonrandomized planting of six trees propagated on ‘Bartlett’ seedling rootstock at AFRS (Bell and van der Zwet, 1993) and in randomized, replicated plantings at AFRS (10 trees) and The Ohio State University—Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, Wooster, OH (10 trees), where all trees were propagated on ‘Bartlett’ seedling rootstock. It is also currently being tested by eight cooperators throughout the United States for performance under diverse climatic conditions. It was jointly released as a cultivar in 2003 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and The Ohio State University. Budwood has tested negative for viruses and pear decline phytoplasma at the National Research Support Project No. 5 at Washington State University, Prosser, WA. The cultivar is named for the nearby Shenandoah River.

Barseck is specifically used in much of their breeding work.

Back do Shenandoah cummins says this

A modern late-season pear with improved fireblight resistance. Also known as US 78304-057 .

This is a reliable, easily managed modern pear. The tree is vigorous, upright-spreading, and precocious (setting fruit at three years on seedling stock). Shenandoah has fireblight resistance that is significantly improved over that of Bartlett. Detailed fertility data is not yet available, but we recommend that all European pears be grown with pollenizers.

Shenandoah is a luscious new pear that will appeal to consumers who enjoy rich-tasting fruit. Its higher-than-average acidity gives it a snappy flavor that mellows nicely in storage. Sweet, aromatic, and juicy, Shenandoah is a large pear that boasts an appealing taste and texture, and it stores well, if properly chilled, for about four months. Shenandoah matures in September, about four weeks after Bartlett. This cultivar does not suffer from superficial scald or core breakdown in storage. The reliable cropping of the tree also makes it a great wildlife selection.

The third fireblight-resistant pear developed by Agricultural Research Service horticulturist, Richard Bell, Shenandoah was released in 2003. It was named after the river.

As you can see Shenandoah has similar appearance. Clearly Bell will go down as one of the greatest pear breeders.

images.jpeg-11
images.jpeg-10

So why do I bring up Barseck you might ask? I explain that in detail here Barseck pear tree
So someone is likely going to ask what does barseck look like
barseck1
pyr1060.naturalfruit01

Those photos are not mine they are from here https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1436263

Sunrise was given this description by starks “Juicy, aromatic and sweet. This hearty tree produces beautiful yellow pears with a slight blush. Fruit is good for eating fresh or making desserts. Also stores well, lasting 2-3 months in proper refrigeration. Disease-resistant to fireblight and pear scab. Introduced in 2006. Harvest in August. Best pollinators: Red Sensation, Bartlett or Beurre Bosc. See more Recommended Pollinators below.”

1615-560x560-fillv

9 Likes

About 3 weeks ago, I added Bell and Sunrise to my order from Adam County Nursery. I had all ready order 5 peach trees, so I was not going to get charge any more for shipping. This was a very good article, and information on Bell pears. Now I know a little more of the history of this pear.

2 Likes

I will be interested to hear reports. Will it be good, or just a marketing thing? Will it be better than Gem? I was looking at Gem, but then I ran across something negative and decided to skip it… but I didn’t make a note of it, and can’t figure out what it might have been.

When I saw this pic, I thought oh, they made a new sun blushed kieffer :slight_smile: Yummy :frowning:

3 Likes

I am surprised that the public likes Bartlett so much that people are breeding similar pears to it. I buy Bartlett from the grocery store but the reason I buy Bartlett from the store is because of shortage of choice. I would sooner buy a Comice, Magness or Warren having tasted Comice, Warren and Bartlett. The reason Magness is so good is because it has great parents. From what I hear Warren and Magness taste almost identical and are siblings. I heard parents were Comice and Seckel which are both super sweet pears to the point they almost taste like candy. I also don’t think Magness taste anything like a Bartlett.

3 Likes

Thank you for your informative response. You are truly a fount of information about pears.

3 Likes

@TomJ

Your welcome!

How is everyone doing with the Bell pear? Any of the others discussed?

What are the chill hours for this pear?

1 Like

@SoCalGardenNut

Have seen nothing on that yet

"
Bell pear is a recent addition from the USDA research station in Kearneysville, WVA. It is a vigorous, productive tree with great fireblight resistance. Richard Bell, the developer of Bell pear makes the following statement regarding fireblight resistance in pear cultivars: "While it’s not easy to knock Bartlett out of its position, one thing is clear: Varieties from the USDA program all rate 7 or better on the fireblight resistance scale, where 10 is perfect and 3 is Bartlett. Fireblight can be devastating in some years,” Bell said. “With the USDA varieties, you may get a few strikes but not the large loss of bearing surface and tree death.”

Ripening about a week before Barlett, this pear is slightly smaller. It has a yellow skin that is splashed with a pretty, red blush. In taste trials it rates very highly for sweetness, juiciness, and flavor intensity. This pear is set to be a popular addition for home growers and commercial production. It will store well for up to five months.

Bell pear comes from the same program that produced Potomac, Blake’s Pride, Shenandoah, and Gem."

3 Likes

@elivings1

The entire purpose of the harrow pear breeding program was all about trying to get a pear that was a disease resistant bartlett 25 Harrow pear varieties

Many people learned from the good work the harrow station did. To this day nearly every new pear released is about trying to replace the disease susceptible bartlett aka williams. You will frequently hear me speak of the big 3 pears Pear orchards are changing. We don't plant just the big 3 pears Bartlett , Bosc , and D'Anjou anymore. Marginal areas are now growing pears! . Once they figure out how to replace bartlett they have a huge job ahead of them with D’anjou and bosc Question the History of a pear or know some history? Post it here! - #21 by clarkinks .One thing i’m sure of is that Van Mons was the best pear breeder we have ever seen. Jean-Baptiste Van Mons - Wikipedia

"Jean-Baptiste Van Mons (11 November 1765 Brussels — 6 September 1842 Leuven) was a Belgian physicist, chemist, botanist, horticulturist and pomologist, and professor of chemistry and agronomy at Louvain (1817-1830).[1] Van Mons carried out the first recorded selective breeding of the European Pear through cycles of seed propagation.[2]

Jean-Baptiste Van Mons
by Jean Baptiste Madou

Hedrick (1921) - Beurre d'Anjou.jpg

Hedrick (1921) - Beurre Bosc.jpg

“I have found this art to consist in regenerating in a direct line of descent, and as rapidly as possible an improving variety, taking care that there be no interval between the generations. To sow, to re-sow, to sow again, to sow perpetually, in short to do nothing but sow, is the practice to be pursued, and which cannot be departed from; and in short this is the whole secret of the art I have employed.”

— Jean-Baptiste Van Mons’ Arbres Fruitiers

He was the most prolific pear breeder known, producing no fewer than 40 superior varieties over a 60-year period,[3] including Bosc and D’Anjou pears. Van Mons readily shared his observations and plants, and developed effective ways of exporting cuttings and seedlings as far away as the United States.[4] After his death his seed collection was acquired by Alexandre Bivort.

The French and Belgians were fanatical about pears, and spent an inordinate amount of time developing new varieties of pear with a buttery taste in the 18th century. A few Belgian varieties show this by having Beurré in the name. Louis XIV doted on pears, his greatest fruit love after figs and, not surprisingly, many varieties were cultivated at Versailles by his gardener Jean-Baptiste de la Quintinie.

He was a founding member of the second Société des douze."

They have tried for years to replace comice as well and yet in spite of great effort and fantastic new varities the comice remains popular but highly susceptible to disease

" The Comice pear originated in France, where it was first grown at the Comice Horticole in Angers in the 1840s.[1] A commemorative plaque in the Loire states: “In this garden was raised in 1849-50 the celebrated pear Doyenne du Comice by the gardener Dhomme and by Millet de la Turtaudiere, President of the Comice Horticole.”[2] It was brought to the United States in 1850 as a seedling.[3] By the 1870s, they had been introduced to Oregon by a French horticulturalist. Brothers Harry and David Rosenberg (the namesakes of the corporation Harry & David) began marketing their Comice pears under the name “Royal Riviera”. It remains one of their leading products.[4]"

2 Likes

@TomJ

As i said, there is a lot, Dr. Bell has been up to in recent years. 10 years ago, he was doing some very interesting work. That work has continued which many of the pears you are now seeing. The harrow pears have long been of interest to me 25 Harrow pear varieties .
Canadian fruits are not just interesting to me. Prarie Cherries are imported by and sold through a conglomerate that owns companies like Gurneys. Green Grade aka crisp and sweet , Ambrosia, drippin honey and other pear projects are theirs. Large nurseries work with universities at times as well not just on imports. You will find the attached document on fireblight resistance highly informative. Here are a few teaser screenshots from the attached document. The point i’m making here is i’m aware of these old pears and the correlations with the new pears that are being released. Have known about what many of the pear breeders are doing for a long time. Took me awhile to put it all together. Many people will be very interested in this 2013 document on pear cultivars i think.

New-Fire-Blight-Resistant-Pear-Cultivars-MAFVC-2013.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

The Kearneysville station where all those pears came from is about a half hour drive from me. I’ve talked to them before and they are super eager to talk fruit. All of them. Couldn’t squeeze any scion out of them though.

2 Likes

My favorite part of those slides:

3 Likes

@Richard

That information i would consider excellent and 100% accurate. Bell knows exactly what he is doing in my opinion. Hopefully he pursues it long enough to do a lot more of it. Normally i dont wish people wouldn’t retire until they are 100 years old but he is an exception.

3 Likes

Anyone able to give us an update on bell?

No, I have the Gem Pear. Bell Pear, named after UWV pear breeder Dr. Richard Bell, is another newly released pear.

I found 4 nurseries so far that show Bell pear as out of stock or else no longer listed. A few of them may wind up listing them when 2024 inventory comes available. It does not appear to be easy to find.

1 Like

Grandpas will probably carry it. Maybe someone can contact them to see.

https://www.grandpasorchard.com/Tree/Pyrus-communis-Bell