Berries Unlimited Experience. Not Great!

I remember when BU started selling honeyberries. They were using tissue cultures. They went to Eastern Europe, Russia and said they secured known cultivars. That’s another story. Anyway growing tissue cultured figs compared to rooted cuttings I and many at Ourfigs noticed strange growth habits from the tissue cultured plants. Maybe we are seeing some of that with these honeyberries? We found a fix. Clone the plant and the clones acted normal. Maybe I’ll take some cuttings or an air layer… I have done both myself. It’s something about the plant staying in a juvenile stage longer than they should.
As is these BU plants grow differently than my other honeyberries. Not very impressive.

1 Like

Ok got it.

I’m talking to & about this cod liver oil flake harassing evilpaul via my thread, not you or drew

their site still says tissue cultured…

Do you have any other recommendations on H.berries?

Aside from her junk, I have aurora, boreal beast, beauty, and blizzard…

Looks like all the CC info was deleted by the mods. I did not ask for that, just to remove cod liver oil boy…

No worries the owner is used to me we have known each other before this site was here. It’s been about 12 years now.
I know all the mods too. I get flagged about once a week. :wink:
You have the best of the Canadian types. Not as good is the Thompson Japanese cultivars. Maxi and Solo cool to have. Solo is the only self fertile honeyberry I know of. More Thompson cultivars I think are released now. You can try them. Honeyberries USA should have them. Any they have are probably worth trying. Although other Russian / Canadian cultivars are not as good as what you got. All the other Canadian ones were before the releases you bought. Not as good, smaller. Lots of work still needed with honeyberries.

1 Like

Just an update on these plants.

I hardened them off, & now they are outside all day in the sun, I bring them in at night to give them freeze protection. They have been out in the sun for a couple weeks now.

ZERO signs of life from any of these plants.

Amazing! I have many hundreds of plants across dozens of species & dozens of varieties of those species, & literally everything has woken up or is actively in the process of waking up, except any of these…

I suggest ordering from honeyberry USA. I just got my shipment from them and their plants are very nice and have absolutely crazy roots. Plants are big too. They also reply super fast and provide really good customer service when you email and ask questions too. Loved my experience with them. I ordered Aurora from them.

3 Likes

Thank you.

I’m going to order from Bernis soon.

Berries Unlimited has been a total disaster.

P.S She still has not made ANY effort to rectify this / make the customer happy. If I don’t hound her with emails, she just ignores me. Today will be my final email & then it’s just going into Visa dispute.

2 Likes

Drew,

How do you do an “air layer?”

If you look at figs wrong the grow more roots, but it’s more or less the same My single attempt with honeyberries pinning a branch was unsuccessful, but I started a second attempt yesterday.

There are a number of methods. You don’t have to girdle honeyberries. Search air layer on this site. We have many threads on the subject. Or click this link
https://growingfruit.org/search?context=topic&context_id=39762&q=Air%20layer%20&skip_context=true

Thank you to both of you.

1 Like

For what it is worth honey berry are a bush. They should respond well to separation if you want to duplicate them. That is likely the easiest way to do it this time of year at least where I am.

I assume you mean cuttings?

You can, while bushes are dormant, dig the root ball up and cut the clump of stems and roots into a couple pieces with some root and stem on each to divide and propagate the plant. People will also mound up dirt at the beginning of the season around the base to get roots growing further up and separate them that way.

1 Like

I had an article on this with propagating seaberry recently on here is how I found out about propagation via separation. The long and short is early in the season when the plants are not in full swing you can take a portion of it and move it to a new location. With grafting trees this cannot be done but anything that can be spread via rhizomes or suckers this can be done. So honey berry, seaberry, elderberry, bush cherries, , hazelnut, brambles, etc. Can be propagated via separation. The only cost is the time it takes to sucker and the fact that the bush has to send out suckers. In my experience honey berry will readily send out new suckers though.

1 Like

Just an update to the original topic.

She BEGRUDGINGLY replaced my plants. We’ll see if she sent strong, healthy plants, or the weakest things she could find. I’ll update again with pictures and a comment, including the way they were shipped inside the box.

Of course, she pointed three fingers at me & none back at herself. She said it was my fault for everything which is interesting because I did eveything she told me verbatim.

Lesson learned? She’s super nice when she is trying to sell you something, super (-) when there is a problem, even if she caused it. She’s a one-way street.

To put that cherry on top, I’ve emailed her twice since she stated she would ship new ones, no replies to either…

After all these interactions with her, I stand by original assessment… BUYER BEWARE!

2 Likes

I always count on replacements being the same quality. I find that with many people. If I am getting bad reception when I am buying I doubt I would get good reception when I have an issue. I always say anyone can give the customer service when it is good but when there is a issue is when you see if they are good at customer service or not.

1 Like