Best and worthy Sea Buckthorn Varieties?

There is also a related tree-form called Hippophae saclifolia, that is quite interesting.

I had Freisdorfer Orange, but pulled it out before I really gave it a chance based on worries about the needles and suckering. Should have just moved it to a more suitable spot.

2 Likes

I’ve had candy that tasted like passion fruit/peach/ and something like musk mango has. How this candy was made I don’t know. The acidity was knocked completely off. So under the acidity and with some sugar there’s some nice fruit flavors.

2 Likes

It is made like bent tweezers and at the end is either a braided line for fishing or a thin string for a lawnmower - trimmer. It makes sense to use this tool when there are many fruits and it is necessary to find the right time of ripening.

5 Likes

It is also good to test the thickness of the rope according to the variety of sea buckthorn, so that the fruits do not bounce too much. Some varieties have a longer stem and others are like stuck. A little practice and it works like a joy. We don’t have time to sort it all, so it freezes, and when it’s time, it gradually gets rid of the leaves while you’re still freezing them.

2 Likes

can you describe how the tool is used @Viktor ?

The method of collection is on the video. Basically, I walk over a branch and the fruit falls into a box that is slung over my shoulder. If the bush is very tall - I have 5-6 m, then I stretch a white non-woven fabric under the bush and the fruits fall on the fabric. Walking up a ladder with a box on your shoulder is not comfortable. It works great for smaller bushes.

7 Likes

i had 3 bushes 5 years ago. 2 female and a male. i liked the fruit but picking was way too labor intensive for what i got so i removed them. that said they grew very fast on my rocky clay soil so long as they had good drainage. had fruit in the 2nd year from a 12in. seedling.

2 Likes

i dont have any seaberries but ill have to try that on autumn olives @Viktor

1 Like

This year, I didn’t have to collect because the birds took care of it for me. Specifically, tits and magpies. They peck at it, and then it starts fermenting, and as a result, the fruits have a somewhat unpleasant odor. After that, I can’t use this tool anymore, so I have to pick them by hand, which I naturally don’t want to do. So this year, nothing went into the freezer.

As for that tool, various curved kitchen utensils can be used for it, such as a turner or a potato peeler, just instead of the metal blade, attach a fishing line and so on. It doesn’t have to be tweezers. I prefer longer tools so that I don’t have to lean too much towards the branches.

2 Likes

hopefully someday a breeder can develop a variety that the berries grow further from the branch to aid in picking.

1 Like

The variety I’m harvesting in this video has slightly longer stems. But I don’t know the name. It’s very easy to harvest with this tool.

I ordered a sweeter variety - Altajská, but something else arrived.

4 Likes