Best apples to grow in Virginia

Very little fireblight on Hollow Log and it was a bad year in my orchards.

2 Likes

good to hear, do you spray for it or just prune it off? I’m aiming for no-spray

1 Like

Any other apple notable for dodging blight in your orchard 2023? Here it was Sundance.

1 Like

just pruned.

As I recall Pixie Crunch, Black Limbertwig and Swiss Limbertwig showed little damage. Strangely one Kind David tree had rather sever fireblight but another one had little damage.

1 Like

King David gets mixed reviews on how much fireblight it gets. I passed on planting one after reading more reports of it getting it vs not.

1 Like

Kueffle Creek swears by King David. I’m going to try it.

I had one little patch of fireblight one one Dorsett Golden. I must of caught it early because cutting back to the next bud worked.

I’ve had a hit of fireblight in Wolf River, red delicious, and pink pearl. Nothing else that I recall. No fireblight last year.

1 Like

There’s a dedicated thread on here going back years saying how bad King David gets fireblight in hot and humid conditions.

Thanks. Is CAR a minor or major problem with Pixie Crunch at your place? I’m basically no-spray here.

1 Like

Finally added Horse and Caroline Red June to my bucket list. What is the deal with Winesaps? I see you mention the Stayman versions. Are any one better then others?

Stayman and Stayman Winesap are the same apple. A selection from Winesap seedlings. Much larger fruit and sweeter than plain Winesap. Unfortunately Staymans will crack open if a lot of rain occurs close to harvest. The skin cannot expand as fast as the apple grows. Sports were chosen over the years for redder color and less cracking. Gibberellic acid sprays can overcome it.

If not for that defect, Stayman was on the way to becoming a major variety. Still a popular produce stand variety in the south. Stores well. Still eating ones I bought in November and keeping at 32 degrees.

As for best version, not too many can be found and none stands out in my opinion. Blueberrythrill took out his Snapp Stayman cultivar as it cracked too bad for him.

4 Likes

I was reading about Snap Stayman last night. Not sure if that will fit. We are the land of 2P.M. Thunderstorms in the summer. You can set your watch by them.

Interesting list of Apples. I had never heard of many of the Apples on the list. The large amount of positive comments the nurseryman had for Winesap caught my attention.

I prefer Stayman over Winesap. Stayman is one of my favorite apples, especially when grown at a higher elevation. A lot of commercial Stayman trees were destroyed when the growth regular Alar was removed from the market in the late 1980’s.

I found I could control the splits on Stayman with a plant growth regulator called Novagib that was labeled Organic with a Caution label. The extra sprays were just too much effort so I pulled my trees a few years ago.

1 Like

It may be hard to produce saleable apples organically, but winesaps are a great old timey home orchard apple. Surprised you’ve not tried it.

Back in the 1950’s my maternal grandfather spoke of it in terms he might have used in talking about the Second Coming!

He also grew Hawkeye Delicious, Early Harvest, and a June/July striped apple that absolutely would not cook up or get soft in pies or preserves…I’d love to know
what it’s name was.

very little CAR in my area.

1 Like

All Cedar trees must die!

1 Like

From 1928:.

An Act of Virginia provides, compulsorily, for the cutting down of red cedar trees within two miles of any apple orchard when found upon official investigation to be the source or “host plant” of the communicable plant disease called cedar rust and to “constitute a menace to the health of any apple orchard in said locality”

3 Likes

The Cedar law went all the way to US Supreme Court and was upheld.