"Best" apricot for New England (6b)?

Wish my Tomcot behaves like yours. My potted Tomcot had several cluster of flowers. It bloomed before other in-ground apricots. It did not suffer any late freeze. Did not set a single fruit. It could be that the tree is still young.

1 Like

I had three apricots, in RI two Tomcot and one Harglow. The Harglow always dropped their fruit. The Tomcots hung on a while longer, but maybe in a season I would get one. They too were hand pollinated. Mine were just in a bad zone.

1 Like

Hi Bob, have you had any fruit from your apricots in the last few years? Which varieties have done best for you? I am losing hope for my 2 large cot trees that bloom too early, they just take up premium space in the yard. I am looking for recommendations on what I can graft on them. Thank you!

2 Likes

I can confirm, as has been said on here so where, that Hoyt Montrose is an excellent apricot compared to no apricots. In 6b this spring we had milder than normal frosts, but I still got mostly Hoyt Montrose, a few Hunza, Tomcot and and a few Canadian white Blenheim. We have preferred the Hunza of those 4, with Tomcot, then Hoyt Montrose, then Canadian white Blenheim following in that order.

8 Likes

Your apricots are very impressive given your cold zone for them. Well done!

2 Likes

Hi @alan,

I have researched Alfred and looked for a nursery to buy the tree and came up empty. One place was out of stock and another both sold out and local pickup only hundreds of miles away. Bob Purvis seemed to have some scion wood for sale for 2023. Do you know of any sources?

Thank you for suggesting Alfred and sharing your experience with this variety. How has it done for you since 2015?