"Best" apricot for New England (6b)?

Ate my last Orange-red today. It was in a shade of a peach branch. Brix was 17. It had an aromatic taste to it. I did not find that in Tomcot but a few Orange-red had it.

I still have 3 more Robada on the tree. So far, brix from ripe ones were 17-22. I am very happy with my first year’s result.

3 Likes

No, Shah Kar Pareh is a plumcot. It didn’t ripen well in my climate (went from sour to mush) so I removed it. Shalah is similar to Lasgerdi, somewhat egg-shaped fruits on the larger side for a white cot. Both Shalah and Lasgerdi don’t bear a lot of fruit. Moniqui is the only one bearing a normal load.

I heard it was not a white cot from the person I got it from and had it fruit. I may have gotten the scion from the same place as Arboreum did, @Stan. In other words, there could have been a mix-up a long time ago. My scion came from a CRFG swap.

Apricots are very prone to peach scab, but thats not what that looks like - peach scab is round dots. I didn’t spray my cots with any control for that as I was skipping sulphur on them, and they all scabbed. Next year I’ll make sure to hit them with something.

1 Like

Mirsunjeli Late is not supposed to be white. Here’s Arboreum’s description:
“A glabrous apricot… Fruits are yellow and glossy, lacking in superficial fuzz, somewhat flattened and small… Flesh dense, fairly juicy, pale yellow.”
On my tree from Arboreum apricots are not glabrous, they have typical apricot fuzz. The skin is pale orange, flesh orange, typical for the “European” line of apricots. Also they ripen in late June, about a month earlier than Mirsunjeli Late’s supposed ripening time.

Let me clarify, I view white and yellow as synonyms in apricot coloring – all the “white” ones are in fact some shade of yellow. I was told that the Mirsunjeli scion I had was orange, not white (or yellow).

I am sure there is a spectrum of how light vs dark yellow the “white” apricots are but I have not been very attentive to that. Arboreum calls Mirsunjeli “pale yellow” in their description, but thats probably what all the “white” apricots should be classified as, either somewhat pale, pale or very pale yellow.

2 Likes

A single spray 2 weeks after late apples lose petals with Indar usually does well enough for me. Only shaded fruit ends up ugly. But my trees are against a white wall and I treat them as espaliers. Alfred is quite scabby. I don’t have to make any special effort with Tomcot- So far. It only gave 4 fruit last year and about 40 this one.

Bottom right looks like it could be multiple curc bites that may have been kept in check by a spray with kick back. If so, I’d like to have a spray that works that well.

My last 3 Robada. Relatively clean fruit. I sprayed Indar 3 times, intending to ward off brown rot on peaches. Don’t know if it helped with scab but coincidentally, I had little scab on my apricots this year.

I stopped scrubbing off Surround as vigorously as I did with prevoius apricots. They bruised very easily so I handled them gently now.

6 Likes

It looks like I should have hit my apricots with Indar, those Robada’s look very nice. One of the reasons why I got rid of it is how badly it scabbed. I did include Indar in earlier sprays, but scab starts at around dime-sized fruits and I didn’t spray my apricots at all once the curc stopped bothering them.

I don’t scrub off Surround until right before I am going to eat them. Slick fruits like apples and plums you can remove it earlier, but not peaches and apricots. I also eat many with the Surround still on, its edible after all.

I’m in upstate New York right on Lake Ontario. I ordered a Mirsunjeli Late from Arboreum last year and it was a tiny tree, but it is fruiting this year and looks to be a few days to a week away from ripening. It’s starting to turn pale yellow now. My tree is true to their description. It is definitely a shiny cot, pale yellow, no fuzz. I’m thrilled it’s fruiting here, and at such a small size! All of my larger apricot trees dropped their fruit so I’m going to assume this variety will succeed in my area. Based on nothing except that it can crop here, at least.

2 Likes

Thanks for your note, Janet. The ripening time still doesn’t match. Apricots in your location should ripen at least a month later than here in California. A variety that ripens in late July for Arboreum should ripen in late August to early September for you. Perhaps they color early but will actually ripen about a month from now.

1 Like

That’s possible :slight_smile: This is my first year fruiting apricots so I’ll be sure to comment when it softens so we have a better idea of when this variety ripens in the east. I chose the hard road and am trying to grow whatever I fancy, while ignoring a lot of recommendations for my zone. After proving wrong some commentaries I’ve read about varieties that won’t work here, I’ve planted about 200 fruit trees for a “home” orchard. It will be a few years before I can leave varietal feedback, but I’ll be posting in the near future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We ate a Robada, Surround included this evening :grinning: Again brix was about 19.

My hubby, our friend and I shared similar views of three varieties we ate.

Tomcot, Orange-red and Robada (in a ripening order in my garden):

Orange-red is the sweetest, juiciest, soft flesh when fully ripe. Taste-wise, the best among the three.

Tomcot, sweet (17 brix), flesh is semi-firm, small (smallest of the three) in size. Second best for taste.

Rodaba, with 19 brix, it has tasted quite acidic comparing to a sweet Tomcot at 17 brix. Flesh was firmer than Tomcot. Large, over 2 oz each ( could be because they were only a few of them). Came third in taste (except if you like some acid in your apricot).

These were the views of novices who tasted home grown apricots for the first time. So, please take it with a grain of salt.

I have one small Zard that may or may not size up or ripen.

3 Likes

Robada isn’t very good unless fully ripe. A day or two makes a world of difference. Many apricots are the same. Sour or astrigent if not fully ripe.

1 Like

I believe mine were fully ripe. I touched the bags, the fruit promptly fell into the bags. (they were bagged with organza bags). Anyway, I like them all.

1 Like

Hi Stan,

The Mirsunjeli Late apricot ripened to softness on the tree, I picked it in July 23. It was soft enough to get a bruise from the rainfall the night before. Absolutely delicious, like apricot jam. Not sour and hard like what all the farm stands are selling locally. Most apricots are picked slightly underripe when still firm, so I can’t compare this to other varieties softened on the tree. However, I am SO glad I planted this variety because it looks like it will be a favorite :):slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report Janet, did you get some photos?

Unfortunately I did not even think of it at the time. Was rushing to leave the house and couldn’t wait to eat it lol

1 Like

With lot of rain, my one and only Zard split wide from top to bottom. I decided to picked it even though it clearly was not ripe (more grren on it).

Surprisingly, it was sweeter than any plums ( including Nadia) I picked recently. Brix at 18 for a half-ripe, split, small apricot was impressive. I am hopeful that it would get better next year.

My guess if it did not split, it could ripen at the end of July or early Aug.

1 Like

I am hopeful that I will get some apricots this year. Tomcot oversets again.

10 Likes

Nice fruit set.Hopefully that little worm doesn’t have a bunch of buddies nearby.bb