Best Hardiness Zone?

Yeah it seems once you get below zone 5 it starts to get much more limited.

Yeah I’d second that, I spent almost a year just north of San Francisco. The summers were much more comfortable than back home in Virginia. The night time lows were chilly too!

This is the sweet spot. And on top of what was mentioned pests are much reduce in Medit. 9b while the ability to grow high quality fruit is much improved.

That said I like the 10-11 zone in my greenhouse. I could do any zone I wanted from 7 to 13+. I’m still harvesting high quality main crop figs and have been since June. Beat that in your zone 7.

No need for any zone below 11. I can get 900 Utah chill hrs in 45 days while never going below 37F. And then have 320 days frost free with 80-90s and sunny nearly every day.

5 Likes

Sounds like you have a nice set up. That’s another thing no has mentioned, it’s a lot easier to make a warm microclimate in a greenhouse than it is to mimic a winter!

2 Likes

I’d say an artificial zone 10 surrounded by a zone 1 to reduce the pests.

1 Like

My only significant pest is spider mites. Three spays a yr solves that. No wind, freezes, hail, or rain damage. Also no critters and no diseases of trees or fruit. So you don’t need a cold zone outdoors.

1 Like

:thinking: I guess that is better than darkness half the year…

1 Like

I’m not certain. Probably in the 700-1000 area.

2 Likes