Best Self Spreading Herbs?

Lovage does very well for us. While it doesn’t seed itself, it comes back every year from the roots. It has quite a strong taste and smell, in my opinion it goes very well with tomatoes.

Satureja montana is another one that overwinters without problems. It makes a little bush, that gets woody in the under parts and overwinters like this, while the upper parts (flower stalks) die back.
And if I say a little bush I mean very little, about 25 cm at the most,so you can use it as a kind of groundcover around bigger plants.

1 Like

Zone 5 here - I haven’t seen anyone mention garlic yet! I just leave mine in the ground and let them spread.

I also have lavender, chives, garlic chives, spring onions (not reliably perennial but some come back), thyme, lemon thyme, mint, sage. Rosemary isn’t hardy here so mine are in pots.

It’s my first winter with winter savory and french tarragon so we’ll see how they do! I’ve had my eye on chamomile and oregano too, but don’t have any yet.

2 Likes

Speaking of garlic. Which kind is it that has the mini bulbs on top that you can use like garlic?

I’d have to go look but I probably have some bulbs I can send you if you want some

I’m interested. Your talking about the Egyptian onions?

Yep! I could also send some yellow potato onions if you want.

Most garlic will get bulbs on top if you let them bloom. Generally the flowers are removed so the bulbs grow bigger.

Hardneck garlic will make scapes I believe :slight_smile: Softneck won’t, but on the other hand you do get to braid softneck, which sounds fun.

1 Like