Best supplement tricks of a tomato grower

its a TSC brand . mostly glyphosate and some other stuff. thinking stickers. never sprayed closer than 30in. from grapes so i dont think its that. they still havent resprouted yet.

1 Like

if my blooms mostly set , im in for a great season as well. i guess our mild winter is responsible. ill take it! all my cherries have hundreds of blooms each. my plums are full of blooms for the 1st time as well as my 2 nankings. apricot is covered also. all 20 currants are full of flowers and bumble and sweat bees covering them. now if my apples do better than last year i can expect a good crop from them as well. so many positives and i havent even planted my veggies yet. just potted up 3 cultivars of ground cherry i started in march. 30 total . are already full of flowers.i started some last year in early june but the frost killed them before i got much fruit. tasty lilā€™ devils. looking forward to alot more of them this summer. in the tomato family so im not hijacking am i? :wink:

2 Likes

Well I did find a few plums that didnā€™t set well. Not sure why? No complaints though.

My dad had an import export business in the 1940s. His office was on Broadway in Manhattan. He had several Japanese companies that he worked with to bring soybeans and soda (canā€™t recall the actual name of this) into the U.S. We have pictures of my parents entertaining their Japanese guests at swanky clubs in NY. Then our relationship with Japan collapsed . . . and so did my dadā€™s business.
However . . . . Iā€™ll never forget my father going deep sea fishing in later years - and bringing home fish. He would wrap some in newspaper and place one in the bottom of each hole, where he planted a tomato. By then we lived in south Florida - and he was planting in ā€˜sugar sandā€™ - white as snow. Even with the fish as fertilizer . . . . our ā€˜Miami Tomatoesā€™ STUNK! LOL
I remember my dad telling me that his Japanese friends taught him that ā€˜fish in the holeā€™ trick. Iā€™ve never forgotten that - but I stick with compost, myself!

3 Likes

@PomGranny

What really makes a person wonder is the native americans in our country used the same fish in the hole trick with corn. Could it be the japanese and natives are very distant relatives or trade partners? Interesting world we live in. Love the story of your Dad it sounds like you are very fortunate to have those memories of a once very different world. In this area i remember saying what will we do with the soybeans why is our community growing them? We had always grown hard red winter wheat and sorghum. Soybeans if eaten raw cause blindness of livestock so there are doā€™s and donā€™ts. The japanese were buying them. Later others such as the chinese were buying them but i had not even heard of China. The beans seemed like a miracle plant in crop rotation since they fix nitrogen. At the time i knew nothing of tofu, soy sauce and so on. Iā€™m very glad the world is more open for trade and exchange of ideas. We are so lucky to live during these times. If the fish is deep enough it wont smell at all. In Kansas our soil is very heavy Clay with a small amount of lome and not like sand which is more porous. I laugh when people say an animal might dig it up soil turns brick hard in the heat later in the year.

3 Likes