Best Tasting Cornelian Cherries and Heat-tolerant Bush Cherries? (US, Maryland, z7a)

Thank you. Well I will see how my muscadine still, hopefully they will come alive when they arrive. I also have honey berries, and che . The honey berries are good but a little tart.

It looks like my Carnelian cherries are preparing to pop open in blossoms soon!
I have not seen any mason bee activity, yet.

That is too bad, because theyā€™ll miss some of my stone fruit :cherry_blossom: flowers

3 Likes

Spotted a cornelian cherry in bloom Sunday. I have seedlings that may be outā€¦Iā€™ll check soon.

2 Likes

I just ordered Red Down and Sunrise Cornelian Cherries from One Green World, i hope it works out. seems i get 75% success rate with my fruit trees, if they grow well and donā€™t suffer problems they survive. i had a Bubble Gum Plum Tree that was 12 years old, i had to remove because of brown rot that i could not get under control, but it was planted too close to a forest tree line so i suspect that was the issue and all my stone fruit is planted 100 feet away and never get brown rot. .

1 Like

Did anyone know this legend about the Cornelian cherry?

ā€œIts Turkish name is ā€œkizilcikā€, but many also refer to it as ā€œÅžeytan aldatan ağaciā€ which means ā€œthe tree that deceived Satan.ā€ It stems from a Turkish legendā€”once Satan arrived in Turkey, and saw cornelian cherries trees in bloom. He logically assumed that since these trees were the first to bloom, they were also to bear fruit earlier than all the rest. So he sat under the tree to wait for it. He must have waited for a long while, for the deceptive plant is the first to bloom in early spring, but at the same time the last to bear fruitā€”in late summer and early autumn.ā€

Cornus mas was used for spears and arrows in Rome in ancient times. The wood is so dense green wood sinks in water. Today used for tool handles.
The tree is robust and should grow well just about anywhere in its zone limits.
I get enough to make a few bottles of syrup. Love it!

2 Likes

Possibly a very very old legendā€¦I canā€™t picture the Ottoman empire coining that.

Cornus mas survives never being tended or cared for. Tough.

1 Like

The service berry or Saskatoon wood was used for spears and arrows on this side of the pond. The wood is dense like cornus mas. Too bad itā€™s harder to grow as the berries are quite good.
I wanted to mention last year I lost my Carmine Jewel. It became too dry and died. It was near another tree which didnā€™t help. I love the flavor of the cherries although the small size was a pain. I also have Juliet and the cherries I didnā€™t think were as good. But this year about the fourth time itā€™s fruited, second time with a full crop. The first two years were light. Anyway this last crop had amazing flavor. Once established Juliet is awesome. Iā€™m not going to replace Carmine Jewel. I also have wowza but it only had a light crop last year. So I will wait a couple more years before I evaluate it. Nice size fruit on both!

2 Likes

I currently live in Iowa zone 5 and have been enjoying my Juliet cherries for the last 3 years. I will be moving to the Fort Worth TX area and would like to know if anyone has success with any bush cherries in that area, or other cherries, too.

@kakasamo I saw this same brand of frozen cornelian cherry in a store in CT. I thawed the fruit in warm water so that I could try it sooner. Overall, they were nice to eat. I noticed that you had mentioned being disappointed in the cultivars that you have grown. Are the ones that you grow similar in taste to the ones that you bought frozen?