Best way to grind dried peppers

To save garden space and for simplicity sake (since these dry and store so well) I alternate varieties like Paprika (for this upcoming year), Ancho & cayenne (grew this year and will wait 3 years)

1 Like

Yes good idea. I’m still trying a lot of different peppers for various reasons. I find certain groups interesting like the peppers from the mountains of Peru. They tend to do better in colder regions, just like anything grown on mountains works in the colder zones. So I have been looking at how they use the peppers, and man they have some extremely sophisticated cuisine in Peru. Looks interesting and I may make a few dishes down the road, when i grow the peppers. I have seed to Aji Amarillo Chili, Aji Rojo Pepper,
Rocoto Hot Peppers (Yellow and Orange). Aji Crystal Pepper is another that interests me. The recipes are complex I have seen. I will research more when I grow them. Hopefully next year, but not sure yet? I have many choices to try.

1 Like

I grind dried Carolina Reapers in a coffee grinder and take these precautions. This is a task for outside having more than one pair of rubber gloves. I have a mask and goggles. Also have a can of air. Coffee grinders allow too much pepper dust to escape so I use the can of air to blow excess pepper dust on the outside of the grinder. I transfer the powder to an airtight container after letting the dust to settle in the grinder on a very still day with no wind. To clean up I blow all the dust away on the grinder the clean up initially with cold water and soap still wearing gloves. Hot water will aerosolize the reaper fumes. The final clean with hot water. Anyone has a grinder with minimal dust leaking out would be a blessing.

2 Likes

This little mill will turn about anything to dust. It doesn’t make dust in the air like the electric mills or blenders. It grinds much finer than the commonly available coffee mills. image https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Crank-Grain-Grinder-Hopper/dp/B00A8SFHI4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=mexican+corona+hand+mill&qid=1621306120&sr=8-2

2 Likes

That was an excellent video - you got me very close to planting some Anaheims. The dish at the end took it over the top.

1 Like

A modification on the blender method:

I find that unless you have the pitcher quite full, the unground bits fly all the way to the top, and it’s hard to get a good grind even with pulsing. However, most blender bases accept a standard mason jar in place of the pitcher. The smaller volume keeps the pepper flakes flying back down into the blades, and makes short work. And the seal is water/air tight!

3 Likes

@Masbustelo
We have a similar mill they are great. I pity the person who grinds bread flower next after some of these super hot peppers that have became popular.

1 Like

Yeah, blender. Super easy. Well dehydrated peppers a snap (pulse is your friend). I have a dedicated blender (my old Oster blender from before I upgraded to Blendtec). Nothing special precaution wise. I blend inside. Don’t wrap the blender. Don’t wear a mask. No issues. Blended powder remains potent (I don’t see any potency drop off). I store in well sealed glass container (20 oz) in dark cabinet and drop a couple silica packs in.

The Epical coffee and spice grinder I linked to 5 years ago is now almost 3X as expensive, so yours is cheaper at this point. What makes the Epical different than other electric models is greater power in a small machine.

The question wasn’t about grains and such mills obviously are made for easy pouring in. Coffee and spice mills don’t allow dust into the air. 5 years later the Epical is going strong in spite of being used at least a couple times a week for spices and blades are plenty sharp to get my Thai peppers down do a powder, seeds and all. However, when it breaks I might give yours a try although the kitchen is already pretty cluttered and your machine is a bit bulky.

Nice looking little machine though. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

I made some last year in a coffee grinder and got a powder. But I want flakes how do I achieve that