Biennial fruit trees, do you have one(s)?

I’ve eaten sweet tango several times. It’s good. But the best sweet tango I’ve eaten is not as good as the best HC I’ve eaten.

3 Likes

I’m pretty much past starting new trees, but I’d make an exception for Pacific Rose, if I could get one.

The name, you can sell Pink Lady under a different name, if the patent has expired. We are now seeing pluots under new names also. Even though the names are not copyrighted.

2 Likes

Pink Lady is Cripps Pink so I am assuming I would have to wait until the Cripps Pink patent expired? I think the name Pink Lady is actually a registered trademark.
I don’t know about US patents, but I am under the impression ( I could be wrong, this stuff can be very complicated), that in Canada, the seller is required to include the original name the variety was registered under on the tag so the public does not get hoodwinked into buying what they think is a new variety.

@northof53, @Drew51, Cripps Pink’s patent has already expired: http://www.google.com/patents/USPP7880

As for trademarks, they are good if the holder renews and defends them. If they fail to defend against infringement, the trademark could be lost (like Aspirin).

Yep…if you hurry, you can get yourself a Cripp’s Pink for this year.

1 Like

I’d recently learned that for a utility patent, the sort one typically thinks of like for the workings of a mechanical device, the original patent grant and fee are only good for a portion of the potential 20 years. I think its 10 years. After which a fee is due from the patent holder to keep it in force. If that fee is not paid, the invention is no longer patented.

This thread prompted me to search to try and determine if the same rules apply to plant patents. Nope, they are good for the whole 20 year term right off the bat.

2 Likes

@murky, that’s true. Actually I think there a 3 fees due during the life of the patent, called maintenance fees, which increase in cost each time.

1 Like

I have some apple trees that appear to be triennial bearers if I’m lucky. Three years ago I had a great fruit set on my Gold Rush and Pristine. Once again my Pristine Apple did not bloom at all this year presumably due to lack of chill. The big issue is that my Gold Rush just a few feet away bloomed up a storm again this year but didnt set a thing because of lack of pollination. This will be the second year in a row with no apples. I just haven’t had luck growing Apples in Texas. I am thinking of grafting scion into both trees next winter if I can get a line on some varieties that will perform here.