Black Gold cherry, my view

I just like big ones. My Lapins this year aren’t that big…not a lot of flesh to seed ratio. Some years they are huge–must have something to do with fruit set/load.

Big one I have had is Utah Giant, large, firm, tasty. Got a few last year. Excellent. I am not sure how crack resistant it is long term for my wet east coast. If I were to plant a new one, it would be a top candidate.

My Black Gold has a good size. I can’t complain r. size. Wish it was firm.

1 Like

I like to keep my squirrels well fed.

5 Likes

not to brag but ive gotten pretty handy taking them out with my .22 mag. crows also. :wink:

1 Like

I had a .22 mag in high school. I sold it to my brother (who still has it). Also had a really nice Ruger m77 .270 bolt action i sold to a friend. Never sell your guns :slight_smile:

Two squirrels will sit up there…strip the flesh from the cherries and the seeds drop to the ground.

1 Like

i agree. sold my Remington 700 .270 to my brother that i bought in N.M back in 91’. shot my only mule deer with it. my son has it now. my marlin .22 mag i bought 5 years ago is a tack driver. i love that rifle and will never get rid of it.

1 Like

Colleen,
What variety is yours?

1 Like

It is one of these:

DWN tag fell off.

Lapin in the pic looked like a bunch of grapes!!

It will be a bit challenging to figure out when they ripen as you don’t know the variety so can’t go by color. Where I am, cherries ripen in July. I usually pick mine the 2nd week of July. I tend to let my Black Gold hang a long time. (Inside a net).

.270 May be overkill for squirrels…

1 Like

My Black Gold this am. When they ripen, they are dark red/maroon. They will also size up well.

5 Likes

blackgold patent expires in a few days. whitegold expires next March

USPP17301P3 - ‘Ridgewood Cherry’ cultivar - Google Patents blackgold

USPP18892P3 - ‘Newfane’ Sweet Cherry Tree Prunus Avium - Google Patents whitegold

3 Likes

oops