Black knot

like we used to say in the Army, assume makes a ASS out of U and ME. :wink:

1 Like

I just found these on my cranberry bush. I am wondering if these are black knot?

I am not aware of cranberry can get black knot. So I didn’t spray or did anything to it. It mainly disease free till now. if these aren’t black knots, then what is it?

They look like a type of gall.

3 Likes

They do - the shape is rounder

2 Likes

I searched Internet and could not find anywhere that said it can get black knots.

This reminds me of gall caused by insects.

1 Like

i have wild highbush cranberry all around me. none have that growing on them. theyre growing next to chokecherry thats is full of black knot.

1 Like

Insects is better than black knot. So what pesticides should I use to get rid if this?

Maybe cut one open,for a closer look.

1 Like

All I have are dead branches. Alive ones don’t have the galls

Inspecting my plum tree as I continue thinning the fruitlets. I found these growing on Opal and one of unknown grafted plum/pluot branch. Trouble begins…

1 Like

And follow the dosage as well. Adding ‘just a bit more for better protectecttion, can lead to burning fruit and leaves’.

1 Like

I had a similar experience on my Satsuma plum a few weeks ago. On closer inspection I found over a dozen knots. It is usually not a knot magnet (the Shiro next to it is usually worse) but it was getting a pretty big outbreak. I cut off all those thin shoots, and on the thicker shoots I carved out the knots down to wood that was not bright green and then I hit 'em with the blowtorch. I am a blowtorch convert for both knots and canker, none of the torched knots have ever come back.

8 Likes

I have not heard about using a blowtorch. I will have to try that. Methley and Emerald Beaut are my two worst for black knot.

1 Like

You don’t even have to carve out the big ones, the blowtorch alone will do it. But they still look like black knots forever, the black disease turns into black charring. I did a couple that way but got annoyed that I kept thinking they were new knots.

Be careful to not girdle the limb, too much heat can boil the cambium all around. I have yet to do this and as long as you are careful it should not be an issue.

5 Likes

Interesting, I take it the tree never really heals and closes the wound up after the torching?

This is how I grow tart cherries. But the killer problem for me is bacterial canker. In the literature, this is identified as a problem most aggressive in young trees, and sweet cherries, but it slowly and surely kills my mature pie cherries. I can get a tree to size, and get maybe 5 or 6 crops, but I don’t think I’ve ever gotten 10 before the tree is killed by canker.

1 Like

I haven’t been torching long enough to know what will happen long-term, but on ones I cut out many years ago the wood has partly but not completely closed. So, the torch is not any worse than that I would say. I have a great number of permanent wounds on my trees, most are buck rubs. A couple of them have not gone well, one place I removed too much of the wood in my knot carving and it snapped under the fruit load. But it is still better than letting the knots expand to your whole orchard.

5 Likes

Here is an interesting case with a second leaf nectarine. Looks like Black Knot to me. Unfortunately it was about 1.5” away from the main scaffolding point, so I couldn’t cut low enough (otherwise I would sacrifice the whole tree). The wound is showing brown discoloration in the middle of the wood, so I am afraid this tree is a goner… I will give it a chance till next spring, so that I can save some grafting wood and also to see if the gall will grow again or not.

3 Likes

Scott, I am glad you have mentioned that Shiro is more susceptible to the black knot. I inspected my Shiro today and found one on a thick trunk. I am going to carve it out tomorrow. I don’t know how to use blow torch, I have used bleach in the past with not-concluded success.
I sprayed Daconil (fall)and copper (spring )as dormant spray. It still didn’t stop the black knot. Should I add couple more Daconil spray during buds swells, and shuck fall to further protect the new leafs? Suddenly discovered so many black knots on the trees in the yard is overwhelmingly worrisome