Black/Purple/Yellow Raspberry Varieties

Nelson (and all other blackberries I’ve tried) weren’t hardy enough, even planted next to the house. Trying to find Stenulson.

1 Like

i really would like to hit you up for cuttings of those next spring. i have ohio treasure black raspberry thats supposed to be hardy to z3a but ive read they grew/ fruited in central Alberta. fruits 2xs a season on primocane and floricanes. smaller berries but plenty of them.

Forbidden fruit? You make us covet.

Contact me in spring and maybe we can arrange something. These should be more widely disseminated.

2 Likes

i agree. ive only heard of these from you.

Pequot Lakes Black Raspberry may be up for consideration?

Jim Furth, the breeder of this new variety, has grown Pequot Lakes since 1990 in the extreme winters in Northern Minnesota. The fruits are deep black and good quality for farm markets and U-Pick. Medium to large fruits are easy to harvest with the majority of the fruits located on the terminal ends of the branches. Flavor of the fruits are excellent and well balanced with high sweetness and low acidity. Harvest will occur in the third week of July for a two week period. The plants are vigorous and will yield up to three pounds of fruit per season. Hardiness Zones 3-7

Ebony Hardy blackberry has shown to be the most cold hardy(Zone 2-3)

Lowden Black Raspberry- Zone 3

Balsor’s Hardy Blackberry - Balsors Hardy blackberries were developed in Nova Scotia, where they have been grown by the Balsor family for over a century.

HoneyberryUSA sells the pequot lakes blacks. ive only seen the others sold in Canada. do you know any sources in the states?

$2.15/plant if you order 10.

I think i read somewhere that hartmanns developed the Ohio Treasure… but they are out of stock on those.

1 Like

I’m going to echo the thoughts on Royalty. A vigorous plant, the leaves look really nice, and the berries are large and attarctive. But, the berries were relatively worthless. I dug it up and trashed it after 4 years of growing.
It surprises me people have trouble growing Anne. I cut it off at about 3-6" each fall. A very vigorous grower with canes that would be absolutely loaded each fall with large good tasting yellow to appricot colored berries. I wonder if maybe those that have trouble growing and/or wintering them are getting virus infected plants? I can’t remember which, but I got mine from either Raintree or Indiana berry. Most likely Raintree given the time frame of when I planted at that property. I ended-up not carrying Anne to my new house though as it was a SWD magnet; just like Caroline.

i use my royalty for jams and such. i freeze them and mix with my other reds and yellows. yes they arent that good fresh but are great processed. huge berries on productive plants. anne primocane crop is too late here and i only got a couple bowls of berries before frost zapped them. i have cascade gold which has nice big tasty berries on a floricane crop but isnt very productive. i may try fall gold next but i think ill grow them for a floricane crop as i think ill have the same issuses as anne.

my ohio treasures came from them. didnt know they carried the pequot lake ones though.

Pequot Lakes has also died out for me in Fairbanks a couple times. But I keep trying and have one now that’s made one winter. It’s a puny little thing though; Wyoming purple is magnitudes of order more vigorous.

2 Likes

Why not Glen Coe? They’ve turned out to be very vigorous and hardy.

The taste wasn’t as intense as I thought from the description but it’s a good selection. Imo it has 50% of the intensity of aroma of both parents but together it doesn’t quite feel like a 100% if that makes sense.

My blackhawk raspberries finally fruited this year… They’re quite a bit more picky about their growing conditions than Jewel (need lots of good draining compost) but the berries, although small, were noticeably more juicy.

2 Likes

I received some of the first plants of ‘Black Delicious’ black raspberries this weekend. Found growing in Columbus OH it is a wild find and a new release to the public. Propagated and sold by Hartmann. Likely will show up on Hirt’s and similar sites eventually.

I dont really have high hopes for it but am willing to give them a try.

If im being honest the plants arrived in some of the worst shape i have ever ordered anything.

It appears that Hartmann stuck primocane cuttings in a 2 inch pot last year and sell it to you as is. If not for the roots below the soil these things wouldnt have a chance to live. Half arrived broken in half and seemed to been shipped that way…not damaged in shipping as they were calloused at the breakage points.

Their pic…not sure if accurate.

3 Likes

When will you release the un-named black raspberry? I’ve only had wild one’s, the flavor is Fantastic, a more fruitful one will be excellent!