Black Twig Apple

Do you know where you obtained the black twig (non mammoth) scion or tree?

I’m not home right now but I’ll get right back to you when I get there.

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of cheddar flavored apples before, but I’ve been evaluating a naturally dwarf roadside tree that I swear has cheddar in the flavor. I can’t help but wonder if this type of apple has atypical acid in the fruit like lactic acid.

1 Like

Black Twigs at a produce market near Richmond Va. Picked too green in my opinion. Goldrush in box beside.
Resizer_16983403025330

5 Likes

I picked my Black Twig apples today, my graft produced quite well, it was freighted! Most came out clean from my no spray orchard and confirms this variety is PDR. It’s a vigorous grower as well, I wonder if it may be triploid

6 Likes

Somebody must like them as Century Farm Orchard has 340 trees in stock.

1 Like

I have a branch of blacktwig grafted on a Goldrush tree. Many of them drop early and underripe. The ripe ones are a little bit bitter in the peel. They ripen a little too early here - early Sept when it’s still pretty hot. Maybe that affects quality.

1 Like

I have been eating Black Twig, Stayman and Winesap apples purchased from Albermarle Cider Works/VVAApples in early December. I put them in my 32 degree fridge until this week. The Black Twigs have improved in flavor over the ones I ate at the time of purchase. Very tasty and still crisp enough to enjoy.

The Staymans I have are starting to get soft. The Winesaps are the best now for being stiil very crisp. Flavor wise are Stayman, Winesap and Black Twig in that order.

The Black Twig is not as dark as the one shown in the start of the thread from North Star Orchard as you can see in pics below. Haven’t seen any scions or trees for any darker ones for sale.
20240125_141927
20240125_141909
20240125_141854

3 Likes