Blackberries In Tomato Cages vs Trellis?

withdrawn

I have a thornless blackberry unknown variety. It grows super long canes.
I have taken to using a wire method trellis. Tposts every 10 ft or so, with 2 high tensile wires. One wire at 2 1/2 ft, and one wire at 5 ft high. I tie up the canes to the wire as they grow.
Some of those canes grow to 18 feet in length.
I often pinch off the tips of canes to encourage branching and more fruit growth.
My row is 180 feet long. Last year I harvest 8 gallons of blackberries from the row, and had friends and neighbors in to pick the rest of the fruitā€¦ It was super bountiful.
The same sort of system can be easily made for much shorter patches.

2 Likes

Sounds like the rank grower Triple Crown, which I planted at edge of my woods yesterday so it can go wild.

1 Like

If Triple Crown, a mature, productive row 18 feet long could produce 8 gallons, or roughly 50 pounds.

1 Like

I have only erect varieties and the thick canes collapsed/flopped. They are on a slight slope and probably reach for the sun downhill too.
Since I have this issue, Iā€™m planning a permanent support system.
Should help with netting the short row too.
I have some free concrete mesh that I plan to suspend above the ground horizontallly, maybe 3 feet above ground, so the canes can grow up through the openings.
I may do 2 layers to give more support, at like 2.5 and 5 feet but probably not necessaryā€¦.

1 Like

^ canes will have to be inspected frequently. Some cane tips will contact thehorizontal mesh intersections and become distorted.

1 Like

Finished pruning a apple tree and peach tree this morningā€¦ and tip pruned off last falls fruiting cane portion of this raspberry bed.

Got them tied good, fertilized and mulched.

So there is a pic of that simple V trellis after spring pruning and clean up.

Not much left to do but eat berriesā€¦

1 Like

is that row running north/ south or east / west? mine are east /west so i dont know if the canes trained to the north wire will get shaded by the ones to the south? up here our sun angle is low compared to the rest of the country.

When I had Triplecrown and Chester, before the SWD came to town, I used a system similar to what TNHunter shared. Except I used tree stake posts and a single top wire running the length only in front and 2 wires for training in the back, no sides. I would tie the flora canes to the front wire and primocanes to the back wires. Being up north I would have to cover them for the winter to guarantee I didnā€™t get die back. I learned over the years that my best odds were encouraging the lower laterals to grow long and in the fall I would cut off everything above about 18-24" because it was too much work to try bend all that down to cover. All the bending usually resulted in some breakage at the crown as well.
I liked the look of the wood posts plus they are cheap around here and we are dry so wood doesnā€™t rot very quickly

• Greenes Tree Stakes & Ties #RC80TR8

Sticky Nav Product Image

Greenes 96-in Wood Tree Stake

1 Like

@steveb4 ā€¦ that little bed runs north southā€¦ but I have several others that run east west.

With the top of that V spread out 36" or soā€¦ they all get plenty of sun either way.

Wore myself out pruning and gardening this morningā€¦ good hard workā€¦ deserve a nap now.

1 Like

For short caneberry rows, compass-direction layout does not matter much.

1 Like