Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids

Well lets compare as they grow. I got mine from Gary Pense Sr. He is a stickler for true to type… DeGroot probably got a tissue culture so u are likely pretty safe.

2 Likes

i saw that one at T.S.C. almost got it but not hardy to my zone like the one i have is. its z3 hardy. if anyone’s interested in trying it, i got 1 in a 2.5in pot that tip rooted and pushing new growth.

2 Likes

is siskiyou a native north american plant?

1 Like

I just pulled out youngberry. Monstrous plant. Berries were ok, notes of white grape, not a very strong berry flavor. I found it too difficult to control and as it bears thinly, it would need a lot of space to get a decent harvest. I also found it difficult to pick.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s a very complex hybrid, sounds interesting!

2 Likes

No.

Its a Hybrid of Boysen, Ollalie, Logan and Marion which are mostly peoples favorities on their own… this makes it very early ripening as well.

They didnt patent it… so not many nurseries sold it then people kind of forgot about it. Still grown by U-picks and commercial operations in the PNW.

Blocky berry with many more drupelets than east coast varieties.

14 Likes

My illini hardy berries are ripening now… just starting good.

10 Likes

Ohio Treasure Blacks… delicious !!!

11 Likes

‘Thunderhead’ coming soon.

USDA release by PNW and is the first primocane fruiting variety from the USDA-ARS breeding program in Oregon.

This new blackberry cultivar can be distinguished by its exceptionally high plant vigor and yields of medium sized berries with high gloss, firmness, excellent flavor and fruit quality, and relatively small seed size. The berries are well suited for fresh eating, with good sweetness and gloss when picked firm, and low bitter notes.

Also remember that Celestial and Zodiac will be released from the USDA soon…

Will you save room for these 3? Or will you make room?

3 Likes

Do you think that horizontal cane training of black raspberry helps production?

11 Likes

L to R- Rudys Boysen, Burbanks Phenomenal, Amethyst Purple rasp.

4 Likes

all right now. you’ve tortured me enough! i want a few amethyst! :wink: got 10 Ohio treasure blacks planted this spring but i can make room for 2 more. as long as they are good tasting, z4 hardy and productive im really interested. up until 10 or so years ago there were no z4 hardy black raspberries available in the U.S that i knew about. im pretty sure im the only one in Aroostook county growing them.

3 Likes

impressive! is this amethyst?

2 Likes

Yes… i planted them May 2022…so these fruits are on much smaller weaker canes then the new primocanes…so i expect them to get bigger and denser… which is going to be weird because on my 3 plants there is more than a whole family could possibly want. For my use i should only let one Primocane go…but each plant has about 5 or so strong ones that are very near the crown. These dont spread. Very productive on young canes…

No idea on shelf life…probably not good as they soak my hands in purple juice as soon as i pick them. Melt in your mouth and taste like candy. So prob not good for canning or cooking.

Z4 black rasp- Mac Black…developed in Canada.

6 Likes

soft fruit is fine as i process most my berries that i dont eat on the spot. ive seen mac black offered at a few nurseries but they say z5 hardy. should get some fruit off of Drew51’s hybrid yellow black raspberry he gave me 3 yrs ago. was slow to establish but has huge 10ft canes loaded with blooms right now. could you tip root a few Amethysts for me? ill buy or trade you for them.

3 Likes

Pushing the zone. I have Niwot, Jewel and Mac black surviving and fruiting in zone 3. Niwot will die to the snow line. However they usually have deep snow. 3 feet this year. There is a Pequat black raspberry zone 3. Developed by a guy in Pequat lakes Mn. Not far from my cabin.

4 Likes

In case anyone else is interested in Pequot Lakes Black Raspberry… it was from Jim Fruth (deceased).

I read an old NAFEX article that he wrote back when there werent really forums it was more like threads.

Someone at a local farmers market was doing well selling black raspberries and Jim took some berries and planted the seeds and he said he selected one that survived the cold and it had nice tasting berries.

Out of all of the varieties that i grow for me its the slowest grower and just struggles to thrive. I am a couple of years into it and the first year they didnt grow much at all…this year they are doing better but nothing like any of my others.

This is the best picture that i have seen of it… i havent seen any berries on mine yet…

4 Likes

On 2nd year primocanes there is no way that i can see that possible… they grow erect and strong. I plan on rooting cuttings… will probably stick 100 of them and see how that goes.

I will post the fruit set and load tomorrow or soon… i wasnt prepared for them being this productive and the first year canes i had to tie up really well because they were floppy. 3 plants bent the wire about 2 feet so pretty heavy load of fruit. I will set another T-post going forward. Also note the bottom branches on these purples need to be pruned off during dormancy… kind of like a fruit tree. I had no idea that they would set fruit from top to bottom… dont mean to sound like a used car salesman but im impressed with them for sure.

I saw flowers on Glencoes they look tiny compared to amethyst… hoping to taste some this year.

3 Likes

i almost bought some from HoneyberryUSA. glad i didnt.

1 Like

Anyone on here grow Von, Loch Ness, Prime Ark Horizon, Galaxy, Twilight, Eclipse? Black Gem?

I am a pretty avid reader of this forum and all the groups and i dont think i have seen any pics of any of these or anyone that even cares to grow them… nobody even talks about them…except Von i think a few folks say they grow them.