Blackberry in Bloom

Have you folks had any problems with the “new” fruit fly that hits blackberries? Last year all my blackberries were infected and any I picked quickly sprouted maggots…not at all appetizing!

Chuck

I’m in mid-Missouri, BTW.

Chuck

The fruit maggots are called Spotted Wing Drosphila. Its a recent insect for the US. Imported from another country. In most cases you don’t see the insect damage until the maggots emerge from the fruit, normally in the refrigerator. You are going to have to spray your blackberry to control these bugs. Millions of dollars of research are being spent on SWD. Lots of useful info on the Internet. Malithion is easy for a homeowner to obtain in a small quantity and it works well against SWD, if you can stand the smell.

Thanks. Next to the smell of Napalm in the morning, malithion is my favorite! I bet the SWD are what got my North Star cherries, too. I have never had to spray that little tree and had very little trouble with the fruit, but this year nearly every cherry had its very own maggot. Last year was the first year I noticed SWD on the blackberries and basically the whole crop was ruined. I hadn’t read up on the beastie, but it appears to like lots of soft fruits, so I guess I had better watch my peaches and plums, too. I wonder if they like mulberry? My tree is too small to make much fruit, but now I’ll have to think twice before sampling the fruit straight from the tree. OTOH, just more protein, right?

Chuck

A little free protein! Several small commercial growers in my area had a major SWD outbreak last year because they refused to spray. One grew blackberries and one grew blueberries. The extension folks in my state (NC) used to suggest waiting for SWD to show up in the traps before starting to spray, but they have changed their mind. By the time they are in the traps, they are in the fruit and its too late. I’m not sure about SWD in peaches, but since I spray the peaches on a regular schedule anyway, I hope that will eliminate the SWD. A quick and easy test for black or blueberries is to take a handful and place them in a bowl, mash them up. Cover with water and add salt and see if any “protein” floats to the top.