Bloom begins

Do you just put them in a vase ?

Yes, and add some water.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I suppose that would tell you that your chill for a particular variety has been met.

Yes. But sometimes I think we get so much chill in this area, we meet it in the fall, before we ever get into winter. Although Iā€™m not sure about that. We supposedly get 1400 hrs. on average. I think some of the highest chill peaches are around 1000 hrs.

Someone posted a site which shows accumulated chill for any area in the U.S. but Iā€™ve forgotten the name of it.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing!

getchill.net

1 Like

I think its getchill.com oops .net

1 Like

I got one of my wifeā€™s vases and put it on the table. I filled it with some peach limbs. I said I am making you some pretty flowers, she looked doubtfulā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks. I checked the closest major weather station for my locale (KCAPLEAS56). According to the website the current chill accumulation is 635 according to the site. So I guess we donā€™t achieve all the chill needed in this area before winter. Still, it is strange I have blooms forming on peach cuttings I pulled inside a couple weeks ago.

The one bloom is from Redskin, which is listed as 750 hrs. Itā€™s pale and small which is typical of peach cuttings brought inside. I think they run out of energy early.

Absolutely amazing! Youā€™ve probably said it before, but would you mind telling the approximate size (floor space, I mean) of your greenhouse? Also, since you mentioned it, and if you are ok with it, could you give some type of wild estimate on how much it cost you to build it? thanks

32ft by 54ft for 1728 sq ft. It cost about $25K. I supplied most of the labor. Heating and cooling probably average about $80 per month. The house and greenhouse together about twice that. We have very expensive natural gas prices.

2 Likes

Thanks Steven. Just by your past photos I thought it was twice that sizeā€¦but thatā€™s probably because of the amazing way you use the space and how many trees you are able to get in that small area. And that isnā€™t to say that that 32 x 54 isnā€™t a big greenhouse-it is! ANd even with your gas prices, Iā€™d have expected heat bills to be much higher. Then again, you donā€™t have very harsh winters down there I suppose. I also found your comments about the commercial viability of the whole thing to be interesting (and honest). Iā€™d often wondered why there wasnā€™t more commercial operations similar to yours. Sounds like its much more economical to import fruit from chili or other places. But of course we all know there is a big difference in imported, shipped fruit and what you grow, and I think all of us can relate to the fact that your hobby doesnā€™t need to be economical- I know none of mine are! :slight_smile: Anyway, thanks for all the interesting info. Iā€™m sure others enjoyed it to.

3 Likes

Tomcot seems to be the earliest Iā€™ve got. Any day now!

11 Likes

Nanking

17 Likes

Honeyberries are in bloom!

9 Likes

Just popped this morning! PTL!

9 Likes

All-In-One Almond popped today

7 Likes

Here comes Red Baronā€¦

10 Likes

All-In-One Almond 2 weeks laterā€¦

12 Likes

Hybrid plum flower buds starting to swell up! April 8th, 2021, Qc.

3 Likes