Blueberry plants

I found it through the distributors website (Southern Living). They call it the DownHome Harvest® I Declare™ Blueberry, but the patent cultivar name is “FL11-137”. Apparently it was just patented in 2022 by University of Florida. It is a low chill Southern Highbush.

2 Likes

Like my Nanking Cherry. It grows just fine. Fruits? Nope. We usually grow a lot of big Virginia’s here too. But Carolina Blacks are something unique, Sweeter then Schonce Black to me.

2 Likes

@dannytoro1 … do you all have these down there ? Lots of them here in southern TN. All over my place.

The berries are not very good… but blossoms are pretty.

The birds love them so much… impossible to get a ripe berry unless you bag them.

Vaccinium stamineum, commonly known as deerberry, tall deerberry, highbush huckleberry, buckberry, and southern gooseberry, is a species of flowering plant in the heath family. It is native to North America.

2 Likes

My friendship has set some flowers!

I have the following in Z10 in CA (SoCal).

In ground in a raised bed with strawberries:
Emerald
Biloxi
Sunshine Blue
Jewel
Pink Lemonade.

Old one in a pot: Bountiful Blue.

And these aren’t yet planted:
Reveille
Misty
Sharp Blue

We got our first harvest of really tasty berries from Jewel last week (4/23/24):

It seems like Emerald isn’t going to produce much this year for me and Biloxi has some berries and flowers right now.

Sunshine blue looks like the plant is having issues so I might have to dig it up to check its roots.

Bountiful Blue has been in a pot for a few years and has a bunch of berries but they are always tiny and I’m considering donating this plant shortly.

One of the 3 I haven’t planted also have some berries on the small plant (am not home so can’t check).

I’m hoping to get some growth on all the plants this year and get better production next year.

2 Likes

No. Not those here. Might be around though.

1 Like

That’s amazing @TNHunter - Hope my blueberry bushes grow like this.

2 Likes

My Elliots had berries quite late last year, into October it seems. There are a lot of flower buds showing, so it looks like it could be a good year for blueberries if we don’t get a late frost. I have most of the varieties that are rated for our area, plus a few that aren’t (and seldom produce.)

2 Likes