Bobcat in the orchard

I was quite hooked on the idea of owning one as a pet for quite some time and was under the impression they were 20-30lbs… Not sure what I would have done with a 40lb+ cat!

I thought the same thing, too, but after seeing this guy pretty close up (crossing my driveway from my upstairs window, maybe 20-25’ away), close up enough to realize that he was nearly as large as my 72 lb. Aussies (I kept thinking to myself, “Aren’t they supposed to be, like, the size of a big housecat?!? What the heck?!?”), I had second thoughts. In fact, the first time I saw him at about 40’ out, I wasn’t sure that it wasn’t a small mountain lion. I grabbed my binoculars and quickly saw the short tail and tufted ears. They are very beautiful animals, and very graceful. Admired from afar!

I used to have some barn cats that were half bobcat. One of them looked just like a minature bobcat. The other one had two white socks on her rear feed but otherwise looked just like a bobcat. We were able to tame them and they did great before they disappeared. Though a couple nights ago now I had one come and catch a barn cat.

1 Like

Yikes! How big did they end up being? Must have been bigger than a normal house cat to catch a barn cat?

They got 3/4 the size of a bobcat. They are actually wild but will come up to be fed. They mainly live out in my pasture and hunt for their food.

The one that got the barn cat was a big male bobcat that lives near my pond.

My neighbor’s daughter breeds Savannah cats - a cross between domestics and Serval. Last week there was an alarm in the suburbs when someone claimed to have spotted a cougar. A guy was looking at the video and said, “That’s my cat.” A Savannah. He said it was about 30 pounds.