Brianna Grape

Anyone growing this variety of grape? I’m planning on adding one next year and am wondering if it’d be worth the space to add a couple? I had some local wine made from it and really enjoyed it, and I’m not much of a wine person. I’m also wondering how it is as a table grape?

I am removing mine. Zone 4b Canada (usda 3b). Can’t remember exactly right now but Brix was 19-21 but fresh flavour was not great, Prairie star was more interesting. But BOTH are way poorer than Somerset for fresh eating.

Thanks for the feedback. The wine we had almost tasted like a flat cider. I’ll look into Prairie Star. I have a couple Somerset already. I think I have about 5 spots left on my trellis.

I am trying it. No reports yet, vine is small. There is a winery near-ish here that uses it, they are in the mountains though, I am in the foothills. I liked it enough to try it.

1 Like

Don’t know what zone you are. I tried Reliance and Vanessa, both not cold hardy enough. Years I did get grapes were not as good as Somerset though both give larger bunches than Somerset. Reliance better bunch form and slightly better flavor than Vanessa but even less cold hardy than Vanessa.

For cold hardy. Bluebell is good for early to mid sept. Grapes seem to shatter some and get some bunch rot. Skins a bit thick too. Trollhaugen are pretty good for mid to later september. My so called seedless Concord (which might be regular concord) is late september early october - does not ripen every year but gives big tasty grapes when it does.

Roland did not impress but was 1st year last year. Swenson red and white were nothing special either.

Pulled out Petite Jewel and Valliant.

1 Like

I’m growing Brianna as well so I’m curious on other people’s results. They have been doing fairly well in 5b with less sunshine then a standard vineyard. I know Brianna are not the best table grapes so these vines are for wine only. There is a lot that goes into growing grapes for wine and there are so many other variables to take into consideration than just the variety you are growing…age of vines, growing location, brix, grape size, fermintation technique, etc. It’s hard to get proper feedback on growing the variety given all the variables at hand.

1 Like

I’m technically in zone 5a but we do get a little lower once in awhile. So, I usually try and plant zone 4 hardy plants.

Here’s what I have so far:
Bluebell
King of the North
Somerset seedless
Somerset seedless
Concord
Concord
Fontenac

I doubt Concord will ripen every year, but I really love the flavor.

Try adding Trollhaugen. Has labrusca flavor but ripens 3+ weeks earlier than concord and is seedless. They are tight clusters so in wet years I have had some issues with rot.

I really like Somersett and am planting more because they don’t get much disease, no issues of bunch shatter, dont split and if you keep in a sealed bag can keep 4+ weeks in the fridge.

How do you like King of the North?

Prarie Star has seeds, smaller bunches (but was only first year fruiting last season). Flavor was nice with some pinapple/fruity notes. Not totally sold on it though, will give it another year or 2 to see.

Might want to look at KAY GRAY as well. It has not fruited for me yet but sounds good on paper.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into Trollhaugen. Earlier ripening would definitely be a plus.

I haven’t ripened King of the North yet. I just planted all of these last year. So, hopefully I’ll maybe get to try a few this upcoming season.

Kay Gray does look good. Now I need to find it, looks like there’s a few that sell it.

I moved and no longer have my brianna grape vine, but really enjoyed those grapes. I will be planting a couple at our new place, but will probably be another year before i get to planting grapes. Lots of other stuff going in this year and last year. The flavor was very unique, i tasted pineapple and im not someone that can really discern different tasting notes. The pulp stuck to the seeds making it kind of tricky to eat them but worth it. Anyways like you, I planted it because a vineyard near me (calico skies) makes my favorite wine with these grapes and the employee there said he enjoyed them fresh also. When i made wine with them at transfer to the secondary my wife and i thought we nailed it and reproduced the same thing. However after finishing and letting it go completely dry it was just ok for wine. The juice that was mixed with swenson red was better wine than straight brianna,gave it some tartness. Anyways next time I make this wine I will stop fermentation early or possibly backsweeten. Swemson red was a good table grape too, only downside is the seeds keep you eating them by the handfull.

Hi Travis - I had Brianna for a few years, enough to get a taste of the fruit and thought it was very good, and a nice size for an early grape, similar to Bluebell size. But it is a very vigorous vine and wanted to take over more than its alloted space. Plus it was a little late to mature, similar to Bluebell, and had some leaf issues so I removed it. Elsewhere in a slightly warmer climate it might be very good.

Here’s a thread with many posts (including mine) on the other varieties you mention: Short Season Grapes - #28 by Sue-MiUPz3. Might give you some more ideas. Sue

Is that in Inwood? I grew up in NW IA.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like it’s worth I spot to try for awhile anyway. I have never made wine and don’t know if I’d continue to do it. That’s why I’m looking for something that’s dual purpose.

Great thread! Thanks for linking that for me. There’s some good suggestions in there.

Yup thats the place. I agree with what was said above this vine grew like crazy for me too taking over its space even with heavy pruning, keep that in mind when planting. Swenson red grew like crazy also.

1 Like

If you find any
Let me know.
Is it still under a patent?

I got one from Jungs last year, but it died right away so I returned it. It was toward the end of the season so there wasn’t much left in the bin to choose from. They do mail order also. I don’t think it’s under patent.