Buck damage... Are these trees goners?

WoW, talk about no second amendment.

3 Likes

I emailed David Vernon from Century Farm Orchards about this and here is his response:

YES. But wrap the entire damaged area with regular masking tape immediately. Wrap it around and around the trunk that is damaged. It will heal very nicely under the tape and the tape will break apart by itself in 12 months. Leave no gaps.
Do not use other types of tape.

4 Likes

Interesting! Thanks for doing the research and sharing.

1 Like

Lookup on YouTube how to do bridge grafting. Your Gold Rush will recover from that but that Hoople gets a little thin where they scraped both sides. I bridge grafted a peach tree 2 years ago after having only 1/2” wide strip of bark remaining in one spot and it pulled through and even gave me 40 peaches this year despite looking wrecked.

1 Like

Can you even graft this time of the year? There’s a chance that David Vernon missed what you saw, but he thinks these trees can recover. I’ve wrapped them with the masking tape as per his suggestion.

Good point. Apparently you can graft any time of year as long as you keep the graft dry and uncontaminated. It is probably better to do it in late winter if the sap is starting to slow and just protect it from getting worse for now.

2 Likes