Bud 9 bloom

I see green leaves with red stems, slightly red on the veins.

I believe they should be red like purple-basil red.
:joy::joy::joy:

I believe M111 also is red wooded, so probably red stemmed, I believe the Buds are all red.

Iā€™m growing some Bud9 from root cuttings, Iā€™ll let You know.

Maybe only the immature leaves are all red.

You might be right.

1 Like

Red leaved apples ALL turn mostly green as the leaves mature. Itā€™s only when the foliage is young that the color is intense.

1 Like

Certainly thatā€™s the ā€˜ruleā€™ā€¦but at least in crab apples, there are exceptions.

1 Like

What is a crabapple that maintains good red on old leaves? All I have looked up become mostly green sometimes with a red tinge by summer.

The roostock apples with red foliage certainly will be green on older foliage.

1 Like

Certainly the red fades to a cloudy burgundy/army green sort of color on most.
Royal Raindrops is one, a Monrovia selection and also produced by Forest Farm in Oregon.
Even red fleshed apples (using the definition that a crab is under 2" diameter) such as Redfield and Veralma Simontornya do keep some red veining, and the more youthful leaves all summer are quite red/purple in color. Several display red veins in leaves all summer.

1 Like

The internet has lots of pictures of Royal Raindrops and even at bloom time the foliage is only reddish green.
Back to the intended point of my comment; summer pictures showing green leaves do not serve as proof that the rootstock pictured is not Bud 9. I have Bud 9 establishing for a stool bed and they like other red leaved apples green up as leaves age.

They do ā€˜green upā€™, but I can still tell by just a glance all summer if a tree is red fleshed in most cases.

I have planted Royal Raindrops for customersā€¦it is not the brilliant burgundy all summer that it is in early spring and in fall. Significant greenish. (And youā€™re correct there are doctored pix on the internetā€¦just as the so-called black apple from China).

Bud 9, Bud 10, and Bud 118 are all pretty red but do become a dark army green and a little burgundy pigment in the mix.

Iā€™d like to try Bud 490 if itā€™s ever available.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you understand. I hope the other participants in the conversation who seemed to think this rootstock should be strictly red leaved all season will check back in and come to understand that as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure ā€˜understaffedā€™ is the best modifier, but I do understand.

Clearly a typo. Fixed now.

I am in Australia, I have a bud 9 with a failed graft that I let fruit this year out of curiosity, its old leaves are green and new leaves are red. I came across this thread when searching google for when the fruit ripens!

7 Likes

Glad to have your perspective

1 Like