Buds Flowers and Fruit - 2023 Edition

Propigating some Heritage Red raspberries from root shoots. With HRs you can start a new bed or two every year if needed.

7 Likes

poppies are raging big already.

5 Likes

Wow, what state is that in?! :astonished:

1 Like

Ponca Blackberry:

7 Likes

Same here, seacoast NH, had 1 plum still bloomed and my 2 bush cherries. Negative 12 and 13 for a couple nights.

Hi @Naeem , nice fruit. Hope to get some pluots next year.

BTW, did you notice the odd growth on your 2nd picture? It looks similar to black knot I read about in other threads.

Looks like the late bloom means lots of fruit this year. Everything is loaded. Pictures are of weeping Santa Rosa and sweet treat pluerry.

4 Likes

Good year for blueberriers here… Oldest ones are Climax and they are loaded.

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing out , it is Cicadas bite damage healing up.

1 Like

@maineorchard
Me too. We had tons of fruit last year . . . and this year - very few. We did get some of the cold-hardy nectarines to set fruit. Harko and Mericrest. But peaches - only Reliance look decent. It’s very disappointing. But - I guess we win some / we lose some. I think it was the cold snaps, too.

First year for a bunch of red fleshed apples.
How do people get nice photos when everything is covered in surround.
Speaking of which think I need a new coat?

8 Likes

Hi @Naeem, The cicada don’t bite above ground (once they are above ground, they don’t even eat). The physical damage of the branches occur when cicada deposits its egg.

2 Likes

You answer your own question. This damage is now healing up.

I didn’t have a question. I am stating it wasn’t a bite.

Serviceberries are starting to ripen up quickly. These are planted all around the campus where I work. The pedestrian traffic and construction across the street keep the birds away from these. Last year they were completely infected with rust, but no rust at all this year.

12 Likes

Multi grafted Peaches are getting some size after first round of thinning.

13 Likes

Are you going to pickle those small thinnings?

1 Like

Unknown grapevine cultivar; I liked the colors

11 Likes

Garden gold peach

9 Likes

I was thinking to make peaches and plum pickle this year. If you have a good recipe I would love to try .