Fig micro-repository in Vista CA

Hi Richard,

What brand of misters and tubing are inside your propagation playpen?

Dax

Nice!! BIG trees. Very cool. Those should give you testing material AND lots of figs this year. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have any information on Morena? I have never heard of this one.

I just found 2 local unknowns from an old Italian woman. The breba are almost ready on one and are green with a red inside when ripe. Sounds like this is a San Pedro because she said it drops the main crop. I guess she doesn’t have the wasp at her place but this was brought with her from her home town in Italy. More details coming.

1 Like

I used 1/2" PVC pipe with Netafim greenhouse foggers.

No local wasps here … yet.

It’s from Diana’s (Palm Springs) Figs du Monde collection. It has a breba crop right now so possibly it’s a San Pedro.

It will be interesting to follow Condit’s identification algorithm and see if there is a match!

2 Likes

testing, testing …

Today I installed 8 12-outlet manifolds on the 1/2" irrigation risers in the 1st bed. They’re working great! It looks like the flow rate will be enough to water each of the 72 pots in 5 minutes.

1 Like

The pots they came a nine by nine …

to

1 Like

Today I repotted the remaining 20 gallon plants:
Bajtar ta’ San Gwann (Common)
Ohra Tabahonosika (Smyrna)
Fracazzano Rosso (San Pedro)

3 Likes

Finished laying pavers in the second bed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nice pots from where did you got these.

1 Like

These are the Steuwe TP915R. A case of them including shipping to my location works out to $2.47 each. See the bottom half of this webpage:

3 Likes

Thanks these will save some space.

1 Like

Bed #2 is now ready for 72 transplants :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I received the 1st installment of 4’ tall plastic coated metal plant stakes.

3 Likes

Here’s 2 + 1/4 pallets of pavers I found on clearance that will help me complete the 1st phase of construction :slightly_smiling_face:

A note of caution: in my experience in socal, these stakes do not last long. Under the sun the plastic will cracked, split, and the metal inside rusted. I used different sizes for everything like supporting trees, making trellis, building small structures. It was fun to be able to do a lot by myself, and they looked nice and neat. Then they rusted and became waste. I am rebuilding a lot of thing now. I take off the plastic and reuse the metal stake inside the pvc pipes to make them stronger, because pvc pipes will sag under the weight of the vines. Combined with the steel posts and the EMT conduits I hope they will be trouble free for a while. Termites is a problem in my area so I never want to use wood.

Yeah I can confirm this happened to me after only two seasons. I think T-posts are the way to go it you want something that will last you many years.

1 Like

@anon18642480, @dimitri_7a
These will be in the pots shown above to train rooted cuttings into an upright tree form.

1 Like

Today I staged the two pallets of 18" x 18" pavers adjacent to the fence line where they’ll be installed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Today I finished placing pavers in the 3rd bed. Now I can transplant 216 fig starts into 3.2 gallon pots!

4 Likes