Campfield Apple

That’s a good point. It was found in zone 3, so if it has time to fully ripen there, I’d imagine it can’t be a very late apple.

Scott, I’m with you on the question of Franklin’s ripening season. No mention that I can pick out from the few articles available. Looks as though it may possess frost resistant bloom/developing fruits. That is a necessity in Spokane, where we can have last frost about May 10, and in 2014 it came (27F) on the 24th!

I dread the price tag Stark Bros. may attach to Franklin when they release it. I had a second chance at trying Wickson last year ('15) and it was interesting in flavors as well as acid and sugar levels (21 Brix.) Looks as though Franklin may be a more complete package with tannins in the mix.
Can it take the heat?

My 3rd leaf campfield had a handful of apples this year. First harvest so take this with a grain of salt. Dry, very bland, no aromatic, not sweet, not sour and no trace of astringency or bitterness. Like biting into a potato. Could be that it is just the first harvest or could be weather. I would note that my hewes have less tannins this year as well vs last year (still quite delicious however).

Anyone else have more experience with campfield?

2 Likes

Did you let them hang long enough? They need a lot of time on the tree. I haven’t gotten a really good sample yet myself as I trained the trees too low and am only now starting to develop fruiting wood above deer range. Some I harvested too early sound like your apple.

1 Like

That’s a great point Scott. I may not have. I’ve been basically sampling one every week or two and have several left to go. So I may have jumped the gun on the feedback :flushed:

On my Roxbury russets that I have been sampling periodically, they are clearly not ripe yet but I can tell that they will be good. Same thing with hewes earlier in the season. Which is why I have been surprised and disappointed with the campfield samples.

But I am early in my orcharding career so take all this fwiw. Just data points…

1 Like

It’s hard to find target ripening times for some of these less well known varieties…

4 Likes

Does anyone know about cold hardiness of Campfield? I’ve had great vigor from Harrison, but Campfield is barely hanging on. I note Fedco has Harrison, but not Campfield, so makes me wonder if it’s not hardy this far north. I’m Z4a, southern adirondacks, New York.

1 Like

My source for Campfield scions fell through. Does anyone have 2 or 3 they would part with?

PM Sent

I might have some if Mike doesn’t. I have lots of wood the question is finding some dormant enough.

I just found a small dormant tree I can ship or cut a small stick off.

He had 1, I could use 1 more if there are any dormant.

Hey Scott, What have you noticed as far as disease resistance with Campfield and Harrison?

Everything I have read says average. I would like to hear some input from those who have had experience with it.

1 Like

I have a Campfield, hasn’t bloomed, not growing well, and bad case Cedar Apple Rust.
I also grafted it to a more dwarfing root, but I forget which now.

1 Like

Both Campfield and Harrison have gotten Fireblight strikes in the past, they seemed to recover just fine. I wouldn’t call them immune to Fireblight, but would say they are “tolerant”. I can’t comment on scab, or cedar all
apple rust. The only apple disease I really have is Fireblight.

1 Like

Oops I forgot to reply here. My Campfield is still quite dormant and I grabbed several sticks for you. PM me your address.

So far no problems… Harrison is a bit prone to spotting/rot on the fruits but so far not that bad. Campfield looks to be in the bulletproof category thus far. I haven’t gotten many apples from either of them, my trees are on MM111 and are taking their time about getting a good set. I also planted Yates along with them and Yates is much more precocious, both trees are setting a full crop now.

1 Like

I feel dumb. How do I PM?

Ah, you are a new user, that is the problem. You should be close to being promoted so I manually promoted you. Click on my face and then on the Message button.

I am planting all my grafts this year on Bud 9. Seems a good fit for several things I am looking for.