Can I save this vole girdled Liberty apple?

Thank you everyone for the advice and info. I’ve decided to let nature take it’s course and see what happens. Not sure how deep a layer they chewed. I’m not up for grafting after thinking it through. I will wrap the trunk in wire and do what I can to eliminate a hospitable environment for them. I like to mulch my garden with a lots of leaves which creates a virtual winter party town under the snow for the vermin. I will keep the apple tree areas squeaky clean and maybe even shovel or tamp the snow down around them from now on.

1 Like

It seems like it has been a bad year for voles for a lot of people. They have harassed trees in the yard this year that have been untouched for 15 years. We are going to bridge graft some, maybe rootstock graft some, and let nature take it’s course with the rest.

2023 (today)

I left the extra rootstock/suckers as sacrificial.

3 Likes

Someone mentioned fine gravels. I have tried coarse concrete sand (round not sharp sand)
and had some degree of success on voles. And trying mole repellent that has castor oil…it chases moles, going to see if it also chases voles.

1 Like