Can spraying surround Or bagging deter squirrels?

First, what kind of tube trap do you use?

Back to the catched squirrels, I will release them. There is an open space in my development with many squirrels hopping around happily, the trapped one can join them there or I can release them further away if it’s necessary.

I understand people hate them, I don’t, not yet😀. I just wish they can leave some fruit for me. (I know that’s not possible,@mamuang, you can’t negotiate with them.)

We have been co-existing peacefully for so many years! I give birds sun flower seeds during winter time, scores of squirrels come to feeder to feed, I don’t mind. But as soon as I stop feeding when weather gets warmer, they stop coming.

I haven’t seen a chipmunk in my yard for years. I do know they are around somewhere because coming back from a vacation I found a chipmunk built a nest in my oven.

Don’t know why the sudden change. Maybe it’s because I didn’t feed the birds this past winter, maybe because my cats are getting older.

@DMend thank you for the trap recommendation!

@Auburn do you spray the bag or the apples?

@mamuang thanks for sharing all the things you have tried, I won’t think of trying them now​:grinning::grinning:

Thanks again, everyone! I will keep you all updated.

2 Likes

I spray the bag.

The squirrelinator is not very effective round ere . I got 2 traps and never caught a darn thing.

My perimiter is sheep fence 3ft high, with holes at the base that lead into large sliding door humane traps. My squirrels to not like climbing over the fence, but prefer to run along the ground and edge of fence. Then they find a hole in the fence which is the entrance to the traps. To be honest I caught more with no bait, that with peanuts etc. I thibk mice get to the peanuts first.

I then dispatch with air pistol, don’t release 500yds away, as they come vack.

1 Like

I have another idea. Is it possible to wrap the tree and some of branches with barb wire or things like these to deter the squirrels? I have never handled these things before, don’t know if it’s practical.

Ya, no. I’m gonna respectfully discourage you from doing any of that. Even with some type of structure in place it will get out of control quickly. I can only see this ending in complete disorder and dangerously so. After all, it is made for deterring humans and larger animals. One possible application for squirrels would be to charge it, but there are far better solutions.
Squirrel infestations aren’t easy and the best you can hope for is control, not eradication. I’ve been dealing with it myself for over a decade and it just sucks. The only time I felt it was under control I had two German shepherds patrolling my property. The last several years without them and their contribution, I’ve come close to that level. A combination of bait and traps with some electricity sprinkled here and there works best in my experience. I’m of the opinion that you won’t achieve anything resembling control without dispatching the offenders. Deterrence is simply and exercise in futility.

2 Likes

Love squirrel…looking forward to small game season.

1 Like

This would be a tad dangerous for you. You will end up hurting yourself more so than the animals. If u have thorny plants like roses or cactus, you would know how it feels to get your fingers cut on these. I don’t recommend this.

Those would deter you and bigger animals, squirrels and rats go right around and over those like they are just climbing a fence. You’d be better off putting a chicken wire cage around your fruits, that’s what I’m going to do with my bed of berries. Just make sure the holes are big enough to not deter bees, but keep squirrels and most birds out.

Squirrels have found a way inside my electric fence so I’m back to live trapping year round.

You really don’t want concertina wire on your property. We used it in Vietnam and dangerous does not begin to describe it. But I sympathize with your intent. I’ve considered claymore mines and napalm for squirrels but thought better of it.

4 Likes

So, it’s unanimous: No barb wire or anything like it! I won’t entertain the idea anymore. Thank you all for the warning!

I was thinking that along with the barbed wire you could strategically place a few claymores. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

OK, I’m gonna be the big meanie here.
Please don’t live-trap and relocate squirrels. In addition to the fact that you’ll just be dumping your problem animals to wreak damage on someone else, and unless you take them FAR, FAR AWAY… they may even beat you back home.
Trapping and relocating of non-endangered species has long been frowned upon by wildlife biologists, for the reasons below, among others.

1. Nature abhors a vacuum, and a new pest will move in to take the place of the one you removed.
  2. Relocated animals often die because they are now in unfamiliar surroundings, have to compete with the ‘resident/established’ population for food/shelter/mates, are exposed to diseases/pathogens that were not present at their original site.
  3. Relocated animals may introduce new diseases/pathogens that animals in their ‘new’ location have no previous immunity/exposure to (think European settlers bringing measles and smallpox to the Native Americans).
  4. At some times of year, relocation of wildlife may result in orphaning offspring which are, as yet, unable to fend for themselves.
1 Like

Not to mention that in more places than not…it is illegal.

Hi Lucky- You’re right. That’'s the least bad option temporarily until I can sharpen my aim or find the flaw in my electric Ft. Knox. I tried the tube traps and couldn’t make them work.

Also doesn’t work for me.

2 Likes

@Lucky_P, I agree that there are problems with trap and relocate, so what’s the alternative? You are not suggesting that I kill them out right, are you? That’s worse, isn’t it?

I managed to save about 10-12 intact peaches and some half eaten ones from a big peach tree, I am not willing to let the rest of my trees to meet the same fate.

But, If I know the squirrel is a mother, I will definitely let her go. So is this the season? And Is it possible to tell if it’s a mother?

If you don’t have many trees you can baffle the trunks: put a barrier they can’t get over, either something sticking out like for bird feeders, or greased plastic or the like. You also need to remove anything they could jump on to the trees from. @alan has used baffles successfully on many trees.

Re: the various types of traps, this year my tube traps are the winners with most of my kills. Second is Kania, and third is the squirrelinator. Last year the squirrelinators did much better, they were as good as the tubes. Go figure. I have also had some groundhog problems, but so far I have only trapped two foxes in the groundhog trap. Too bad foxes are not better climbers, they could climb up the trees and clean up on the squirrels!

This is very discouraging news. The only area squirrels and groundhog don’t get into is my small veggie area with electric wires. I have two espalier fruit trees in that area and they haven’t been able to access those yet. How exactly did they get through yours? Just wondering how far apart your hot wire and ground wire are from each other? Have to prevent mine from finding their way in. I do not want to go back to trapping.

1 Like

Yes, Sara, that’s exactly what I’m suggesting.
Continue to search out alternatives, if you must - I realize that some folks are uncomfortable with lethal means, but humane termination with extreme prejudice - and constant, continued removal once the vermin have discovered the smorgasbord you’ve provided - is really the only effective solution.
No, it’s not worse. Squirrels, deer, chipmunks, groundhogs are not endangered species. And they will not share.

1 Like